|4th April 2011, 06:26 PM||#1|
Join Date: Feb 2011
Super Pensil 12 Build
The Super Pensil 12 is my second FR DIY build and I (hope) I am near completion.
All the pieces have been cut and need to put the box together - but looks like that itself will have only after 7-10 days...In the meantime I would welcome some advice on the front baffle holes for the drivers. Flushmounting is becoming a bigger challenge than I had anticipated...
I don't own a router myself and tracked down a workship with a handheld unit. Strangely it looks like not many people here use this very usefull tool...!
Long story short, my expereince with the router guys was sub-optimal and probably I will have to make the front baffle pieces again. It will not be a total waste of good plyboard hopefully, as I intend to salvage some of the remaining portions for an upcoming Castle Micro-tower build.
I have small children and the younger one loves touching drivers... so I need to put grilles on the Super Pensils!
So with the new baffles I am thinking of solving 2 problems with 1 solution...
1. Mount the Alp 12 without any rebate - this will result in roughly 10 mm sticking out
2. Take a 10-12 mm thickness MDF piece and create a 208mm hole for the Alp 12 driver frame.
3. Fix the acoustic grille cloth on top of the MDF - so that becomes my speaker grille
4. Fix this grill using neodymium magnets or other means to the speaker cab
That way I skip the risky business with the router.... also get my flush mount... and maybe a decent looking acoustic grille.
Questions that come to mind:
1. Any pitfalls you see in this approach?
2. The flush-mount I get through this will behave sonically same as if I were to mount the drivers in the rebate?
3. Since the grille cloth is only 1-2 mm from the driver frame, do I need to worry about any effects of excursion?
All suggestions/inputs will be appreciated .
|14th April 2011, 04:39 AM||#2|
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
I can't give any advice to the router issue as I'm going to be building my first set soon but congrats on a good choice of speakers/cabs! I'm going to be ordering my ALP12's on Friday and will be building the SupePensil12's too Looking forward to seeing how you figure this out and how the end result comes to be!
|14th April 2011, 11:36 PM||#3|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|audio nirvana super 10 or super 12||tonytex||Full Range||11||4th September 2011 10:55 PM|
|Pensil 12 and B&W Matrix 802||goneill||Planet 10 hifi||65||26th April 2011 04:31 AM|
|Pensil 10.2 or 12 wrt bass extention?||Swifty||Planet 10 hifi||151||25th April 2011 04:40 PM|
|Cutting plans for Pensil 12 and Super Pensil||zman01||Planet 10 hifi||3||24th March 2011 04:48 AM|
|pensil 12 super||moodybuilder||Planet 10 hifi||1||22nd February 2011 02:05 PM|
|New To Site?||Need Help?|