• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

planet10-hifi miniOnken Plan-Set Subscriptions

Felt

I've built a temporary Floorstander pair for the 10PeN, and used the softest wool felt that McMasters had. This is 1/2 inch thick, but I'm wondering about the density--if it should be something closer to "insulation" batting. When I hold this felt between my thumb and pointer, I can press it to just about half thickness. Does that sound about right, or is this much denser than the felt that most people use?

Meanwhile, I'm very pleased with the sound. I've got the speakers angled further back (so the front edge would be about an inch higher than the back) and with them placed about 10 inches away from the wall. Imaging is very precise, the bass extension is adequate, tonal balance is quite good, with the exception of baritone voices, which sound thin to me--but this may also be due to their only having another 30 hours over the 200 at P10. I was expecting pretty much everything that they do well, except for the bass speed, which truly surpassed my expectations.

So, now I just need to decide between the TT and FHXL designs...can anyone compare either of these to the Floorstander?

Yesterday was able to use a balanced version of the headphone amp I've been using, which also means I can used the balanced out from my Legato IV. (Pretty much maxed this out when building, and it's much better than the SE out.)

New level of dynamics (got around 1.5 watts a side now), control, and just general goodness. Currently just have straight wire runs right off the speakers to the plug at the amp; have been considering this for my final build.

Am curious about speakon connectors--have used them in back line speakers for stage use, but am not sure of their sonics. I fully agree with the less metal mass philosophy (and have been running solid core twisted pairs since the 70s--mil surplus Teflon, I use it for almost everything).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Am curious about speakon connectors--have used them in back line speakers for stage use, but am not sure of their sonics. I fully agree with the less metal mass philosophy

I have only used than for a single set of prospeakers i built. They were quite funtional, how they work in a hifi situation i don't know. With all the swapping we do around here, pomona dual plugs and standard spaced binding posts are just too useful.

(and have been running solid core twisted pairs since the 70s--mil surplus Teflon, I use it for almost everything).

I have part of a roll of something similar, 30 g. Haven't used much of it yet.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No consideration given to looks, cost, ease of build, you will get the best midrange out of a dMar-Ken7.3mT with A7.3eN. That is the medium trapezoidal miniOnken.

That is speculation. We haven't actually built that one yet, but the narrow trapezoidal miniOnken is VERY good, and the slighty wider box should reduce any early inner sidewall reflections (at the expense of maybe looking a little squat).

Not far behind would be µFonkenSET with FF85wKeN & µMar-KenSET with Alpair 5.2eN.

The others all have their virtues.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I just finished a set of drawings for FF105wk. These same boxes will be retuned for the FE103 SOL.

FF105-family-green.gif

dave