• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mini/Prime Fonken - Paradigm comparison?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I'm pretty interested in building a set of mini fonkens for computer desk setup with and amp6 that I've yet to assemble, and maybe a tube amp (bottlehead maybe?) in the not too distant future.

I don't have a lot of experience in this field, but I think it's safe to assume that going the DIY route gets one much better bang for one's buck, otherwise why bother right.

So, I'm wondering how these (mini or prime) fonkens would compare to my current setup of Paradigm Monitor 3 v3's. I've read all over the place that the Monitor 3's are a good value already, so I'm wondering if the fonkens would be a major upgrade in SQ, downgrade, or just different.

I will likely build these anyway as the Monitors are in the living room and these are for the office, I'm just curious how these stack up against commercial offerings, especially the Monitors.

P.S. I would probably order enabled drivers for this build.

Thanks,
G.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mFonken (milli-Fonken)?

Before considering these make sure you have your hands on drivers.

As well, one has to consider whether the drivers are properly tweaked or stock.

My experience is with treated drivers, stock ones i find a bit rough around the edges.

To generalize, the Paradigms should go lower, reach higher, play louder but get creamed thru the midrange & the paradigms will have a flat soundstage/image in comparison.

I placed an order today for samples of the "replacements", we'll see over the next couple (or 3) months whether they are a suitable substitute (and retune the boxes)

dave

I'm not really after deep and loud. I'd really like something that will shine on live acoustic performances like say... Alice in Chains Unplugged; these seem like they will fit that bill nicely. Sounds like I'm in for a treat when/if I get these built up compared to my current system.

Sorry, ya I meant milli-Fonken... the naming is a little confusing to the uninitiated :)

I would have liked to build the micros but it seems like you're out of drivers. Do you still have FE127eN in stock for a milli/prime build?

Thanks again,
G.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have 1 pair of matched FE127 (your choice of colour) and 4 singles which will go out at a steep discount over pair pricing.

The micro will, with some minor adjustment, work with the Fountek FR88ex, i am still working on a treatment scheme for them. There is also a similar size design for the Alpair6.2 but it has not been built yet for vetting (drivers on the break in bench). There is also a smaller design for the A6M, the box small enuff, and the vent long enuff, that mounting terminals will be an issue. The aspect ration of the Alpair boxes, due to the wide bezels, is quite different from the uFonken.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.