• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks

$290/pr, less 10% if bought with a flat-pak.

You'll need to contact me via email. You should have that in your saved mail, but you can pick a valid one off any of the websites if you don't.

dave

pardon my ignorance, but I am finding the site(s) wherein you list the commercial flat paks/kits terribly difficult to navigate. I am trying to order a pair in kit form that includes everything I need(drivers and all), but from what I have seen so far on the commercial site it is unclear what is included. again it may be my dumb brain but need help! I want the 390 buck kit(what does it include and how much know-how is necessary to tackle this). thank you sir

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What it should do is bring up an addressed email… it does for me. So it is likely a browser issue on your side.

I will get you a quote tomorrow, but you may also want to talk to Zia. He gets all sorts of enclosures made (he may have already done a set of FH3) and i am pretty sure he could get you a set all done up for what shipping would cost.

dave

planet10,
Daft question, but in the frugal horn design there are not 90 degree joints in the cabinet, rather bevel edges of about 85/95 degrees. Do the pieces in the flat pack incorporate these edges? Or, is that bit left to assembly through filing/sanding? I think I know the answer, but if so it seems too good to be true!
Also, are your nice assembled cabinets of light wood venereed or just the birch ply sanded/stained/laquered/whatevered to a finish?
Would be great to know thanks,
Niceonecyril

I've built speakers from the flat packs, and all the angles are cut for you - all you need is glue and clamps. The wood is birch ply, suitable for finishing. I did veneer the top and the front with birch just to hide the inevitable edges that were visible.

I had much more labor in the veneer and finish (just blonde shellac) than building the speaker boxes.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
All the pieces are cut to finished specification. Chris dry fits all the pieces and trim if needed (sheets of plywood differ a little in thickness)

You probably want to do a dry fit, and hit the corners with sand paper. In an ideal assembly one could so it with glue & masking tape (we recommend clamps).

The biggest issue (2/100) seems to be too much glue in the dado and then not being able to get the panel all the way into the dado leaving that piece high when putting the other side on.

Here is Chris doing a mock assembly which may give some insight: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...-mk3-flat-pak-mock-assembly-instructions.html

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hey guys, I was trying to track down where to buy a Frugal Horn flat pack in the US. I have a pair of Alpair 10-P's looking for a home and I think the horn might be a fun first build.

Thanks-
Rob

Interested as well!

Hi Guys,

Just out of the hospital today after nearly a 5 month stay.

Frugal-horn flat-paks for the us are usually supplied by us, but are currently in linbo due to problems with the new CNC (and little to no manuafacturer support)

DAVE

Hi Guys,

Just out of the hospital today after nearly a 5 month stay.

Frugal-horn flat-paks for the us are usually supplied by us, but are currently in linbo due to problems with the new CNC (and little to no manuafacturer support)

DAVE
I came here looking for information on buying a Frugal-Horn flat pack, but discovered something more more important: a community member and human being has emerged from a long hospital stay.

Best wishes, and may you have a full and happy recovery!

First off , welcome back Dave and best wishes for a full recovery.
I clicked on this thread because i'd really like a flatpack kit but reading a few of the posts i gather theres a few issues at present.However i ended up here because i'm sure i read a few months ago a thread that said the kits would be available from a UK supplier at some point . Did that ever happen or did i just dream it?
l'm looking at hopefully building my first diy speakers using CHR- 70's .
l assume that eventually the kits will be available again once the current problems are sorted ?