• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks

My plan was to make the Frugle Horns the "legs" of a computer desk, with just the top few inches protruding through the desktop and a third leg under the wrap around arm rest portion for stability. That would give the illusion of two small speakers sitting on the desktop. Not sure what the bounce reflection off the desktop would do, nothing good I'd imagine.

But this would be pretty simple to reverse, just a couple of cleats screwed onto the FH to keep the desk from sliding down.

Anyway, just something I've been mulling over.

BTW, I got flat packs from Dave, and I have to give them very high marks for workmanship, completeness, shipping, you name it. Really nice.

Last edited:
Dave,

Yesterday, I was in my friends place and we were playing with the configuration of a pair of Frugle Horn with Alpair 7. Just for fun, I placed them just a few feet apart just like it would be if these were desktop speakers and listened. I know thinking of a floor standers as desktop speakers is odd. Yet, driven by my Sabre DAC and Beta 22, this turned out to be a killer configuration. I was blown away, now it is in my head, can't get it out, GAAAH.

Grrr, can't seem to stop cooking up all kinds of devious plans to get myself a pair. How I can convert a floor stander to serve as a desktop speakers.

Dinesh

The guitar I've heard from speakers (I'm a headphone guy) were Fostex 127's in the datasheet box reflex enclosure nearfield.

Regal,
Thanks for the response. I am still mesmerized by the sound of an Alpair 7 in FH3, Enabled by Dave of course. Although I have a pair of Fostex FF85K in a Micro Fonken singing as I write this.

I am an occasional headphone user too, got a HD-650 sitting here, ready to be driven by the Beta 22 for late night work.

Here is mine, finished in duratex. So they are pro sound roadworthy. I used the tint base and just had it tinted by the folks at Sherwin Williams, who didn't even charge anything
I wanted something fun looking. So a furniture grade finish was out of the question but so was regular paint or staining. The color looks better in real life than photos. Nice to know these cabs should last a long long time.

L1050190.jpg

L1050186-1.jpg

Left to Right: Tacoma Thuderchief with custom neck, Michael Dolan "Monster Jazz" custom 36" scale 5 string, Aria SWB Lite upright and Loprinzi "Lo Bass" ukulele bass (dub city).
Pictured in the bottom FH3 pic is a Trace Elliot Twin Valve- 2 Kt88s push-pull, good for 120 watts, mated to a EA M-Line Whizzy 112. This cab actually has an "M" structure inside and is a T-Line alignment, venting through both sides- good for 103db efficiency and it just rocks with the Trace! Sorry to stray off. . .

no apologies necessary - if it wasn't for instruments like these and the players thereof, there'd be no point in buying or building good loudspeakers ;)

dub-city uke, really? where do we hear samples of that

got a link on the EA Whizzy? - my son plays bass himself, and has only some cheap Peavy or such combo - he really deserves something special, I think

edit - by the last sentence I mean enclosure plans for a DIY version of course :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I see pro sound, back line, home audio, portable audio and car audio as "audio." It just happens to be pigeon holed but there are so many good ideas to learn from each other if they just talked more. So that bass rig is very similiar to the FH3 in that they are single full range drivers designed for efficiency and tube driven. 120 watts is very modest for a bass rig. I picked that cab up used on guitar center's web site. I traded a solid state head for the trace. So I guess the frugal theme is preserved lol. I have yet to see what the inside of the EA cab actually looks like. But for bass, it not only sounds great but but the side vents play up to 300 hz or so and everyone in the band benefits. Tube bass amps seem to not beam like SS. The sound is all around you.

Loprinizi is a famous guitar maker based here in Clearwater. He has been building guitars since the 1950s, I believe. We looked at the Kala U-bass as a point of inspiration but the tonewoods are inspired from old flamenco and gysie guitars- Spanish Cedar top and mahogany sides and neck. It's very low tension so there is no truss rod. The dub sound comes from the thick mass of the strings. Look up U-bass videos online. Mine sounds between a doghouse ply upright and a '59 P-bass through B-15. Each one of those basses is unique. I always go for unique stuff.

Sadly, no. The Trace Elliot of today is much different, under new ownership and seems to be focusing on lower price solid state stuff. There best amps were the Twin Vlace, Quatra Valve and Hex valve. The preamp in those is still sought after. I like the twin becasue it is fairly light and compact for a bass tube amp. I run it flat. Sound to die for and you can push it a little but it's not really an overdriven sound. It's just a Hi-Fi sound with cajones and mojo, if that makes any sense.