• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks

By the way, finally got around to trying your Mod Podge and Ideal Duct Seal mods on the 8" woofer of the B&O Beovox S40.

I just finished with the Damar and Mod Podge stage on a pair of 126 drivers. Just this alone smoothed them out a bit. Look forward to starting the dot patterns.

Once these are broken in and this is applied it really does transform the drivers. I do plan to do the Alpair 7 drivers when they are fully broken in.

Don't make life too complicated

My main interest is speed and detail in the FH 3 As a musician (cello) I want to known what the artist is doing. Bass is nice, but I don't want to give up response or clarity, each of which are more important. I had been thinking about the Altair 7, but the low sensitivity seems like it would compromise clarity and force a more complicated amp. EdbSchiller's "bass augmented" (or a DIY alternative could be added later on). Any thoughts on a driver? I have a back wall but the corners are 3 feet away from each speaker. Listening position is 7 feet. Mostly classical, jazz, maybe antique rock.

Please don't worry about efficiency. The Alpair 7 is perfect for cello reproduction! It is by far the best driver in that instance. The efficiency is not at all a problem a good valve amplifier of 8 watts will be fine or even a 45 watt per channel silicon amp will be perfect. If you don't believe me check out Home Page and look up Valentini, it is a special build of the FHMK3 designed solely with reproducing the Cello in mind!
smile.gif

Contacted Toppsy regarding kits, was recommended MarkAudio drivers above the Fostex ones...

Dependent upon how far these can be pushed into the corners [physically & critical placement], I have enough floor space to get a listening position of 2m, measured from the drivers.

Paul

Late to see this post - the FE126E is certainly not everyone's cuppa - that upper midrange "stridency" which some folks fatiguing is definitely real (but treatable) and any of the Mark Audio drivers that would fit the FH3 are smoother in that region - most notably the Alpair7.

Just be aware that Mark's drivers also need long break-ins, have BSC engineered into their FR and require different amounts of stuffing fill, and do not require the same proximity to corner loading as the Fostex- indeed may well be bass heavy if tight in a corner.

Thanks for the info :) Understood that the MA drivers require 100hrs break-in. I'm going to implement full-band room treatment to help curtail all the usual junk. Having a driver with a fairly flat response & being able to tweak the bass from the FH3, might mean I can forgo any EQ'ing... Still thinking about adding a sub to get that bottom Octave in full.

Paul

Great review^^ Olav. I am grabbing the flatpack listed on the swap meet, which has the baffles for the Fostex.

My questions:

Am I committed to the Fostex with that baffle or can a MA Alpair 7 fit with some "encouragement"?

I am kind of waivering between the FE126en or Alpair 7.
I have read the previous discussions. I was going to drive these with
the new version of the miniwatt SET or possibly my minitorri. My music taste jazz-straight ahead and fusion, indie rock, electronic lounge etc so not exactly chamber music. Just looking for low SPL but enganging presentation with emphasis on imaging and space over analytical accuracy.

if i go the 126en route, where can I find a pair that has been eNabled or treated?
Madisound is out of the grey Alpair 7s. Where can I score those?

if i go the 126en route, where can I find a pair that has been eNabled or treated?
Madisound is out of the grey Alpair 7s. Where can I score those?

I have a pair of the 126en with some some EnABL treatment that are fully broken in. You can try them out first but based on your musical taste I would go for the Alpair 7s...much better IMO [at least in my BK-12M horns].

You are welcome to come by and have a listen.