• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks

In the same manner as Aiko is used here...

310822d1352399361-fostex-fullrange-satellite-speakers-center-aiko-centre.jpg

dave

I like the form factor of the Venom. And it would fit perfectly under my 96" wide wall mounted fixed screen. How well does this enclosure work with MA Alpairs and what is the largest driver that will work in that enclosure? Looks quite narrow.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I like the form factor of the Venom. And it would fit perfectly under my 96" wide wall mounted fixed screen. How well does this enclosure work with MA Alpairs and what is the largest driver that will work in that enclosure? Looks quite narrow.

Each of these designs works with the driver it was designed for. Vampyr-V with FE103/FF105, Venom-V with FE127/FF125, Lotus with CHR70 (any), Coniston with EL70. No BVRs for the Alpairs. Old A10 is relatively close to new A10 box-wise so Jaguar would probably work (but i'd check with Scott), Kongo, Haruna, Kirishima for FE126En, FE166En, FE206En.

dave

My main interest is speed and detail in the FH 3 As a musician (cello) I want to known what the artist is doing. Bass is nice, but I don't want to give up response or clarity, each of which are more important. I had been thinking about the Altair 7, but the low sensitivity seems like it would compromise clarity and force a more complicated amp. EdbSchiller's "bass augmented" (or a DIY alternative could be added later on). Any thoughts on a driver? I have a back wall but the corners are 3 feet away from each speaker. Listening position is 7 feet. Mostly classical, jazz, maybe antique rock.

My main interest is speed and detail in the FH 3 As a musician (cello) I want to known what the artist is doing. Bass is nice, but I don't want to give up response or clarity, each of which are more important. I had been thinking about the Altair 7, but the low sensitivity seems like it would compromise clarity and force a more complicated amp. EdbSchiller's "bass augmented" (or a DIY alternative could be added later on). Any thoughts on a driver? I have a back wall but the corners are 3 feet away from each speaker. Listening position is 7 feet. Mostly classical, jazz, maybe antique rock.

OK, if moderators can chastise members for errors with quote function in another thread, then please allow a couple of typo corrections along with some observations (or a public flogging for the preceding impudence)

It's Alpair, and I think you meant Ed Schilling, (both names with which I'm familiar) and bass augmenter. Of course I realize that sometimes sticky keyboards or hasting typing can explain an "F" instead of "G", "T" for "R", etc ( mr Planet10 probably holds the track record for those as well ;)) but even for a one finger typist, the T and P aren't that close together

OK, now that I got that outta my system (been a rough day), a couple of comments - I'm as much a fanboy of Fostex fullrangers as the next FR/DIYer, but unless you've actually heard the FE138ESR for yourself and enjoyed the experience, of the 2 I'd recommend the FE126En its sonic merits alone.

I've commented on the question of (rated) sensitivity of the Mark Audio drivers before - indeed it was rather a concern for "us" before the opportunity arose to hear them (in any enclosure), since after many years of playing with the 3-6" range of Fostex drivers (mostly the FE126/7 and 167) and often in conjunction with low powered tube amps ( 8W and under) , the lower number printed on Mark's spec sheets gave pause for thought "will my 3W 2A3 be enough?"

Well, I for one consider this to be one of the areas were the printed numbers don't tell the whole story: to cut to the chase, and to address the question of the FH3/A7.3 combo - it works very well indeed , doesn't need the same degree of boundary reinforcement to maximize the bass extension and weight as the FE126 would, and to many ears could be considered more neutral through the critical upper midrange than the Fostex.

That said, any FR driver of this size class can only benefit from support by competent bass augmentation, particularly, in my opinion, if the FR driver is actually HP filtered (say between 80 - 120 or higher ) thereby relieving the excursion demanded of it. I think you'll find the most noticeable improvement when adding separate woofers in this manner (stereo if XO any higher than 100 or so in a non HT system with mono blend of LF ) is a substantial increase in attainable SPL concurrent with increased midrange clarity, depth and image stability.

There are any number of candidates for midwoofers suitable to the task - IINM Ed uses one of the Silver Flutes in a fairly simple small box - but that may have changed since the last time I looked. In any case, one of the keys to seamless woofer integration is that the selected drivers have clean smooth response several octaves above the determined XO frequency.

That's enough from me for now

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
( mr Planet10 probably holds the track record for those as well ;))

In my defense, at the time i decided to take grade 11 math instead of grade 10 typing who knew we'd have computers even in our phones that would run circles around the very fastest computers of the day and that we's all have multiples (i have no smart phone, but my dumb phone is still faster, and i do have 7 computers i use regularily that would be classed as super computers 10 years ago)

The math has stood me in good stead,

dave

David,

Sorry about the typos and for mis-recalling Ed's last name. I have a little dyslexia and STML. Traced it back to the name "Schilling" on a campaign poster in the background of some FH pix on the Gallery thread i had been viewing. Funny how a mind works (or doesn't on occasion). I'll try to be more careful.

Thanks for your analysis of the Alpair 7.3 SPL and woofer option.

What is a "spraBaffle?" I saw this on the description of the removable baffle option.

John

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
David,

Sorry about the typos and for mis-recalling Ed's last name.

That was Chris not me....

What is a "spraBaffle?" I saw this on the description of the removable baffle option.

supraBaffle, short for super baffle, a sub-baffle that sits on top if the main baffle, variously used for some or all of: better wavelaunch, push baffle step frequency down, easy driver change, aesthetics.

dave

I have a pair of old Fostex 127E's that I bought several years ago. I put them in the standard madisound bass reflex enclosure and used them wit pair of powered subs.

I really really liked the midrange of the 127E's but in the bass reflex enclosure they didn't dive deep enough to cross-over to a pair of subs.

I found this thread from madisounds website, was wondering if there are "flat packs' available for the 127E and if it would help give them a little extention to properly integrate with a stereo pair of 8" subs crossed over below 80 hz ?