• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks

Wow! I also hear it's very good at playing rhythm & ---'s!
don

"From Natchez to Mobile, from Memphis to St. Joe, wherever the four winds blow
I’ve been in some big towns and I heard me some big talk, but there is one thing I know
A (wo)man's a two-face, a worrisome thing who'll leave ya to sing the blues in the night

My mama was right, there's blues in the night."

Finished

And a few weeks later, the flat paks have been finished.

Attachments

• Flat Pak.jpg
    Flat Pak.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 784
Just finished a pair of MK3's with Alpair7's. Simply amazing sound. I usually veneer my speakers but took this pair to the autobody guy and had them painted piano gloss black. Beautiful sounding and looking as well. Still breaking the cones in and will hook up to a system of upgraded all Dynacl tube/valve stuff.

Just finished a pair of MK3's with Alpair7's. Simply amazing sound. I usually veneer my speakers but took this pair to the autobody guy and had them painted piano gloss black. Beautiful sounding and looking as well. Still breaking the cones in and will hook up to a system of upgraded all Dynacl tube/valve stuff.

Hi Rob.

If I may ask why did you go for the alpair 7's rather than Fostex FE126En? I am a newb in speaker building and would like to make the right choices.

Thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I must have answered that question a zillion times :D

Here is an extract form an email i sent out that answers the question wrt the drivers i typically ship with flat-paks.

>
I am planning to built the MK3, Is*FE126eN2 the best*driver to use.

Depends on the amp, your room, your listening tastes. On an absolute scale the A7 is, IMO, best. But you need a really good amp of adequate power to drive them as they are brutal at revealing an amplifiers shortcomings . The FE126 is also brutal on amps, has a synergy with SE amps (tubes or SS), and is the most efficient of the lot, so is the favorite of those with small tubed SE amps.. The EL70 has almost the finese of the A7, but has greater synergy with lesser amps. It also has the best bass and is the driver that rocks best. The FF125wk is newish here and, without having extensively testing it yet, somewhere beteen FE126 & A7 for how it fits into the picture.

All of these drivers make a good set of FH3, but they all have there strengths.

dave

I have the Fostex drivers in a pair of transmission line spkrs and I didn't like them much so I just experimented. The presence is amazing and I am totally happy. I use a self powered sub for the lowest of the lows but these really do a great job. Rated from 40hz to 40k hz! Very delicate speakers so take care mounting them.

I have the Fostex drivers in a pair of transmission line spkrs and I didn't like them much so I just experimented. The presence is amazing and I am totally happy. I use a self powered sub for the lowest of the lows but these really do a great job. Rated from 40hz to 40k hz! Very delicate speakers so take care mounting them.

which Fostex drivers exactly? If any of the FExx6 series, it's probably not a big surprise that they weren't satisfying in a TL - these types generally prefer BLH of some type

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your patience in answering. May I ask another please... The CSS EL70 seems to be discontinued. What is your opinion regarding the MA CHR-70? It seems to have the lower Fo of A7 and FE126. The Qts is very much the same as A7 but higher than FE126. I am asking as it is very favorably priced compared to the other but if its no good I will rather spend the extra money if I have to.

Thanks
Willem

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am asking as it is very favorably priced

Willem,

My personal opinion?

It is my least favorite of the current MA drivers. It is still a good driver.

And preference does play into it. Bert Timmermins (sp?), editor of one of the German diy magazines likes it better than A7.3. Lots of others thrilled with it to.

If you have to import your drivers, consider that i still have EL70eN (and stock EL70), and rumoh.nl has both EL70 & CHP70.1 (these last rather cheap).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Willem,

THis is where i'd normally say, send me an email, but realizing i am in my own forum i'm not breaking any rules writing it here :)

Stock EL70s are available out of the master pack until i run out of already pre-treated EL70 to process. They are $90/pr. Matched & treated drivers, i my opionion and others ar ebetter value at $160/pr.

If i discard the factory packing (part of which i do already) and take care in keeping package weight down i can get them to under 2 kg. This gives 4 postage options.

Fully insured & tracked:
$104 Air / $70 Surface

Small packet ($100 insurance/tracking is only implicit)
$73 Air / $59 Surface

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
(I am not keen on the CHP-70.1 as they are really only extended range

You are thinking about the CHP70.2. The first gen CHP is much closer to the EL70. I haven't heard a pair but have asked Colin to chime in, he has instlled quite a few into his Frugel-Horns, and Zia who is the only member i know that has both EL70 and CHP70.1

dave

Opinions on the CHP70 and the EL70 will differ from person to person. However, here is my tuppance.

The original, cream coned CHP70 gen1 was a good driver. It has a very natural sound especially with female voice. However, it does really benefit from a (Frugal) supertweeter to fill out the slight lack of top end. If they are still available the ERT26 is the way to go crossed over around 12K or above. The later black coned version CHP70 gen2 was a backwards step. I think Mark tried to achieve a vintage sound with this version but for me didn't work I much preferred the original but then again coupled with the MA tweeter #3 or CSS ERT26.

Though I haven't heard the EL70 I have only had good reviews and most that have both the original CHP and EL prefer the EL. So my recommendation (for what it's worth) would be go for the EL70 either in stock for or the modded Planet10 version. If you factor in the cost of the supertweeter to address the top end lack of the original CHP then you might as well go for Dave's modded version. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I would also add I much prefer the paper coned MA drivers to the metal coned. But again this is a personal thing. Though I have built quite a few the FH3 with all the MA drivers and Fostex. In order of preference I would always choose and recommend.

1. CHP70 gen1 with ERT26 or EL70 modded.
2. EL70 unmodded.
3. Alpair7 gen3
4. CHR70 gen3
5. CHP70 gen2
6. Any the Fostex

Others will completely disagree with this choice and lets face it these recommendations are always going to be a personal choice.

Hope this helps you decide.

Willem,

As Dave mentioned I have both the EL-70 and the CHP-70 gen 1. The EL-70 is more extended at both the top and bottom end and can play louder; however I prefer the CHP-70 gen 1 for vocals - they sound smooth and natural to me, the overall sound is slightly more relaxed vs the EL-70, which sound more dynamic and "muscular" to my ears. The top end with my amps is adequate (for me) with both drivers. Both are good drivers which have some similarities in their sonic signature and a good match for the FH MK3 cabinet.

No experience with the CHP-70.2.

Colin: I think that's a fair and balanced statement - my only comment would be that I think Mark's revision to the CHP70.2 was based on feedback from some of his clientele, and that he's now quite aware of how others feel about its performance in comparison to the rest of the line-up.

It's been discussed before, and I'd be surprised if before too long we don't see several new models - indeed the inner circle may already be aware of such, and sworn to secrecy. We'll just have to wait and hear.

Overall, I'm probably on the same page as you regarding the paper / metal thing - as amazing as Mark's achievements are with the metals, his papers are quite wonderful - and it's very interesting what invisible differences in materials, adhesives, etc can do to season the flavors.

Last edited: