• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks

Hello,

I have a pair of unused Jordan Jx92 drivers. Will these be a good match for the Frugel-Horn Mk3?

Cheers,

Nic

considering how well the Alpair7s work in this enclosure, my intuition says- why not, but it won't leave a lot of clearance to the back divider, particularly if you rebate for a flush mount, so you might want to add a plate of extra layer of material at driver.

Attachments

• JX92s.pdf
    24.6 KB · Views: 131
  • fh3jx92s.pdf
    2.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hmm - I think that maybe it is time for me to actually build a pair of speakers:)

Hoping it is less addictive that the other areas of audio DIY:eek:

I guess I could get an extra layer made to get the clearance right, and that this would not look to bad if done right.

It is not clear to me when the next Mk3 lot will be ready and what the shipping rate is across the pond for these flat packs....

If somebody could let me know by PM I would be very happy!

Cheers,

Nic

3,245 miles later, my flat-pak has arrived. Wife acceptance, however, is pending.

Who first said, "It is easier (better?) to ask forgiveness than permission"?
Six weeks later, I finally unpacked after the project queue got a bit less crazy. The Planet 10 FE126eN^2 drivers look fantastic, and the workmanship on the plywood looks perfect.
But Dave, I think you could have put just one more layer of cardboard around the whole thing! :p
PS Wife acceptance STILL pending.

Get her to pick the finish, so she's involved. Might help a bit. Likewise ensuring that the first thing she hears is something she likes.

Possibly not so conducive to domestic harmony in the short term at least, I suppose it could be respectfully pointed out that you live there too, and therefore are entitled to have some degree of a say. Unless I've missed my guess, your good lady probably selected most of the furnishings & decor? Fine. So now you can have something. A pair of relatively compact speakers isn't a lot to ask. Especially if you can finish them to her taste.

Last edited:
The wife will come around. She always does.

Her as yet non-acceptance has nothing to do with finish or sound. I would say it's one part money-spending aversion (we were burglarized earlier this year), and three parts "why do you need..." (there are already four stereos working in the house and three in the garage).

I always try to involve her in the project, and with speakers, she usually chooses the grill fabric. (Or "fret" fabric, as they say on Beoworld where my wife is known as "The Fabric Selector" for her hideous choices.

Regardless, thanks for the tips. BTW, got one assembled last night and was quite pleased with what I heard. Still sanding parts on the other one to get the parts to fit.

Both assembled and moved into the dining room system. No buyer's remorse here; I am happy. My four and half year old daughter likes them, too. "You new speakers are awesome, dad." And my five and half year old daughter says they have to be painted. Blue.

Attachments

• Assembly Complete.jpg
    Assembly Complete.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 615