• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks

Bill,

They got their fast. Mailed them on Monday.

That is sad. They won't work in California? Sudden change of work?

dave

Yes, I got a notice from the US Postal Service on 7/5! The Canada Post must be making up for lost time!

Change of work, and I don't know where I'm going to live. Yet. It's a very positive move, but fraught with unknowns. Mainly $$$ ;) If I have no nibbles, I'll keep them....

Thanks again for all your contributions to the hobby...

I have had my eye on this flat pack deal, and think it would make for a great project for this coming winter.

One question: The metronome horns look great, my wife would like those. Any interest in a flat pack project for those?

Shipping package size is the problem with the 'nomes - best to try to find a local wood-hacker ;) I can't imagine they're a complicated build - I just haven't gotten around to a pair yet; here are way too many other projects to try, and they just don't appeal to me aesthetically (or more importantly my wife)

Shipping package size is the problem with the 'nomes - best to try to find a local wood-hacker ;) I can't imagine they're a complicated build - I just haven't gotten around to a pair yet; here are way too many other projects to try, and they just don't appeal to me aesthetically (or more importantly my wife)

and the "KEY" word of the day today guys is WIFE!!!!

:p

Sorry, i in same boat LOL

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To go by post the package needs to be <1m maximum dimension and <30 kg (as well as some other size restrictions) so a met or any of the double mouth horns could easily cost more to ship than to buy. One of the reasons that i have been evangilising local garage industries making flat-paks or finished or semi-finished speakers. So far with limited success.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Please note that the 1st run of FH3 flat-paks are all sold. We have begun work on a 2nd batch. Price will rise a bit to get a little closer to where i think they will need to be to cover all costs. Shipping as given in post #8 also proved somewhat optimistic.

17 pair altogether. 8 FE126, 6 A7, 2 EL70, 1 FE108eS

The beta build of the flat-pak ended up with FE126eN as well (seen here with a full-height deflector which will become a stealthWoofer once i dig out my external "plate-amp"). If there is interest we may do flat-paks for the woofer.

FH3-wStealthDeflector.jpg

dave

and the "KEY" word of the day today guys is WIFE!!!!

:p

Sorry, i in same boat LOL

40yrs in that canoe (well, it's been a while since there's been any actual paddling)

chrisb, now you have peaked my interest. What designs are you looking at that score higher on the wife-appealing scale?

after the aforesaid 40yrs, one learns that "acceptance" is far more likely to occur than "appeals to"

While she can admire the style and woodwork of some of the "cute" designs like the prime "-onken" series or FHs, she'd like the enclosures to disappear as much as possible in her space - so far the Castle MT have been the biggest hit both aesthetically and due to placement considerations, sonically.

Scott and Dave have already designed more enclosures than one guy could possibly build in his spare time, but I'm always game to look at something new.

Last edited:
The finish onff the speaker in the first post is amazing! How did he do that? I don't see any nail or screw holes at all. Wow great looking kit!!

post fabrication veneer - not as difficult as you'd think (yellow carpenters glue and clothes iron), but grain matching on these particular enclosures does quickly chew up a full 4x8 sheet and the best part of a day in the shop by the time finish is applied

WOW!!!

Holy ****. The M.A. alpair 7 drivers in the new F.H. box seriously rock.
I would have NEVER thought it would be able to produce BASS in my room. But they do pressurize the room! Well... OK a big *** Altec 16 incher does have piston to drive you to the prizes rather effortlessly but the Alpair is not that far behind. No doubt that I will try to blend the altec and the alpair but for now...
I got TUNES!!!!!

The build of the F.H. box came out very fine. Boy am I one happy SOB!!!
I had to remove my trusty home brew 45 from the equation but Nelson's kick *** Pass Lab 30.5 SS class A amp does just fine, thank You!

No xover, no step baffle.

Ill post Pix in the AM

Not a Fat Pak...

18 mm baltic birch.
Glue up with Titebond Pro
Stained with an oil based white stain.
Then waxed with "Bowling alley wax"
For the stuffing I used an Army surplus wool blanket and pillow fluff.
Internal wire 14 ga solid pure silver wrapped in a cotton jacket.
No spikes as yet but in the shop.

punch list...
spikes
install front baffle cut out so that the speaker basket is flush
Adjust the amount of stuffing.
Enjoy

Equipment that drives the M.A.F.H.
Mac mini with S.S.D. and an external 1 terabyte Glyph HD for the music data
Pure musica Player 1.8
itunes
Lynx Aurora 8 DAC via firewire
Antelope External Clock