Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 5th June 2011, 09:04 AM   #71
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat_leader View Post
Can someone comment on, or point me to the thread/post where people talk about how the FH3 sounds?... say compared to the Ed Horn or the FH1/FH2? I've had both of these, as well as the Austin A126, so I know how they sound.
Relevant threads are posted in Post #1.

We haven't yet done a head-to-head of the FH1 vrs FH3 (FH2 was still-born). My feeing is the FH3 is smoother particularily in the upper bass and the lower midrange.

You no doubt already have opinions on EdHorn vrs FH1.

dave

PS: i am working a reply to your OB inquiry)
Old 8th June 2011, 01:16 AM   #72
renfrow is offline renfrow  United States
diyAudio Member

Whoohoo! My flatpack was waiting for me when I got home last night! I think I'm going to need a tutorial on unpacking it! Wasn't able to get to it last night, and today, I had a router applied to my jaw (or whatever it is that dentists use to drill holes in bone) preparatory to installing an implant. But the nice drugs are keeping the pain at bay. However, not a good combination to use things with sharp edges. Hopefully by Saturday night I'll have a set of working speakers!!!!

Thanks!

Tom.
Old 8th June 2011, 07:17 AM   #73
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfrow View Post
Whoohoo! My flatpack was waiting for me when I got home last night! I think I'm going to need a tutorial on unpacking it! Wasn't able to get to it last night, and today, I had a router applied to my jaw (or whatever it is that dentists use to drill holes in bone) preparatory to installing an implant. But the nice drugs are keeping the pain at bay. However, not a good combination to use things with sharp edges. Hopefully by Saturday night I'll have a set of working speakers!!!!

Thanks!

Tom.
and a $hit eating grin on yer face
which drivers will you be using?
Old 9th June 2011, 02:01 AM   #74
CedMan is offline CedMan  Canada
diyAudio Member

I just finished putting mine together to give it a listen .... My initial reaction is .... Omg!! How could this be so different from my fonken!!
Old 9th June 2011, 03:41 AM   #75
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Cedric,

How long did it take (ignoring glue dry time)?

dave
Old 9th June 2011, 02:33 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Probably somewhere along 4 to 6 hours spread across 3 evenings, I took it real slow, test fit, remove, glue, clamp, etc ...

After it settle a little I will remove the drivers and have work on the finishing, which from working on my fonken previously, I'd say maybe another 2 - 3 evenings of 1-2 hours each.

So far so good, these Alpair 7 are such an improvement over my last pair that my face was like this as soon as I hear the first vocal note.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1086[1].JPG (125.6 KB, 724 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1085.JPG (119.9 KB, 710 views)

Last edited by CedMan; 9th June 2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 9th June 2011, 05:46 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Default Flat Paks

Dave where did you find the blue damping material. I need a bit more, but I can make do with something else.
Just an update 1 speaker is almost complete, so far so good. I found the
2 pieces of wood inside the cabinet to fit VERY tight in routed out grooves. I had to use sandpaper to get them to fit. The ends fitted very well but the centre required a bit of sanding on the edges of the grooves.
Another question:what is the small block of wood used for the one that is about 3" x 3"?
Dan
Old 9th June 2011, 05:57 PM   #78
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Dan,

Do you need more for the FH or for something else? For the FH you should -- damn, i just realized i shorted everyone 2 side pieces.

I'll get those out in the mail.

Thanx for catching that.

Go ahead and build without one of the side damping pieces, and you can fit the additional piece thru the driver opening.

The 3x3" piece is a packing spacer that makes room in the stack to tuck the drivers into the stack.

dave
Old 9th June 2011, 06:00 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

... that's what i was wondering when I was building mine, I end up using some left over from my previous build ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
For the FH you should -- damn, i just realized i shorted everyone 2 side pieces.

dave
Old 9th June 2011, 06:02 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

Smile Flat packs

I can probably mange with a thick felt, I need it for the big side piece like in your pdf diagram.
I checked at home depot, but maybe I'll check another sopt.

Hide this!Advertise here!