• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks

Quick question

Greetings,

Quick question. I'm still quite ignorant but am trying to learn as quickly about single drivers as possible....:) Great site.

First post on this forum:

Do each speaker require a bit different design in enclosure or do these work for a wide range? In some quick conversations, the implication is that each driver require specific enclosure optimizations for that particular driver.

Would these work perfectly for the Mark 7 version 3 that is coming out? And what would bass extension be for 3rd order? (Pardon if this has been posted.)

Thanks,
UL

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do each speaker require a bit different design in enclosure or do these work for a wide range? In some quick conversations, the implication is that each driver require specific enclosure optimizations for that particular driver.

Generally every driver needs to have a box designed for it. Some boxes are more tolerant then others and people will use similar spec drivers in those boxes (ie FE207e, Pioneer BOFU, and Hemp Acoustics FR8c often used in boxes designed for FE207e)

The FH3 is one of those very rare boxes that will accomodate an unreal range of drivers, tuning being accomplished with different damping schemes.

Would these work perfectly for the Mark 7 version 3 that is coming out? And what would bass extension be for 3rd order? (Pardon if this has been posted.)

Mark is under strict "orders" from the diy community to try to maintain backward compatibility with old boxes as he relentlessly moves his drivers forward. I don't see it as likely that A7.3 won't work well in FH3. This rev is probably one of the least dramatic we have seen in awhile. Evolution instead of revolution (the multiForm cones being revolutionary, and the Matsubara-san spiders, a master let loose to do his best work, were first seen in metal on the A7)

dave

Taken the drivers out to sand on finishing, about 1 - 2 hours on sanding and 1 hour spent to stain the cabinets.

Next step to add some protection and gloss ... :D

Attachments

• IMG_1094.JPG
    IMG_1094.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,168
I'm using a stain with the sangria color, then finish with couple coats of gloss. I just finishing up and putting on spike feet right now.

Almost there. :)

What kind of feet are you using? I have 6 that you just place under a speaker. I saw the website that Dave posted to buy some feet and I was thinking of making up some aluminum strips, putting some of the feet on the sides and screwing to the bottom of the speakers.
Quite similar to what were in Colin's pictures.

What kind of feet are you using? I have 6 that you just place under a speaker. I saw the website that Dave posted to buy some feet and I was thinking of making up some aluminum strips, putting some of the feet on the sides and screwing to the bottom of the speakers.
Quite similar to what were in Colin's pictures.

It looks like a lot of us will be emulating that plan - just don't be surprised if the cost of Alum, paint and particularly decent spikes like Colin used cost as much as the raw board for the enclosures.

All Done

Finally all done. 2 coats of Gloss goes on top of sangria stain.

I put some simple spike feet underneath and I think it improved the bass. :D

Love the sound pairing it with my NAIM ... need to build a tube amp next :devily:

Attachments

• IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,068
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,040