Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks - Page 42 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 24th June 2013, 05:23 PM   #411
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeloPB View Post
I have not unpacked the box yet. But I am trying to weigh the feasibility of ordering new custom rebated baffles(the largest panel) vs modifying the Fostex one. Has anyone done this without using a supra baffle?

A. Looks like cleanest(and most expensive) option is just ordering rebated baffles.
B. Modify the Fostex baffle to fit the A7s, with or without supra baffle.
C. exchange/trade the Fostex for a MA one.
While the Alpair will fit in the same size through hole as the Fostex, there are several reasons why it's not really practical to modify the baffles to fit A7.3:

-The corners of Fostex pincushion frame extend beyond the Alpair's perimeter, even when using the larger ring
- The Alpair's composite resin flanges are considerably thicker than the Fostex, and while some may disagree with our decision on rebating all Fostex frames, there's not much disputing Mark's advice to do so for his.
As well, the general consensus, and certainly our practice, is to relieve the rear side of driver opening for fullrange drivers of this size with a 45` bevel or roundover to reduce reflections at the area that is closest to the cone/surround boundary.

Using 18mm plywood or even "full 3/4" MDF, etc, this combination leaves not a lot of material core for any type of fastener (I quite liked the sheet metal type socket head screws that Mark supplies), and I recommend scalloping the relief around the area of the 4 basket legs. (see attached photo with our dead "fitment sample" A7 basket.

- To successfully rebate the Fostex baffle for flush fitting of A7.3 would require the fabrication of a pattern template, careful alignment of same with the very delicate driver temporarily mounted the existing hole, a sharp pattern following mortising router bit, and just to make Terry O happy, some bondo to fill the corners of the pincushion pattern.

All in all, for anyone with the tools and expertise to to that, it would be much easier to make a new baffle, either full length or removable supra-baffle.

Dave does have baffles available for A7.3 with extra ring in matching BB to the flat packs in question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7scalloped.JPG (595.8 KB, 483 views)

Last edited by chrisb; 24th June 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 24th June 2013, 08:02 PM   #412
diyAudio Member

O.K. So the pictured baffle ^ is a square, not the full front panel. I thought the baffle ran the entire height of the box. The square baffle in the photo can be used with the exiting front panel? If so, is it a supra baffle or does it fit flush. I am sorry if this is a dumb question. I have not unpacked mine and I have only studied the photos which do not appear to use a square segmented portion of the baffle.
Thnaks!
Old 24th June 2013, 08:28 PM   #413
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The baffle Chris posted is a dummy he did to illustrate the cutout on the backside.

dave
Old 24th June 2013, 09:23 PM   #414
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

well actually as the 4 small screw holes near the corners indicate, it was from one of the supra-baffle panel kits
Old 29th June 2013, 06:51 PM   #415
diyAudio Member

When can I order A7 drivers and baffles?
Old 29th June 2013, 07:15 PM   #416
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Did you not get the reply to your email with the same question? (Wednesday)

dave
Old 30th June 2013, 01:27 PM   #417
diyAudio Member

No. that's why i posted here. I haven't seen any replies. Sorry.
Old 30th June 2013, 08:08 PM   #418
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Resent. Do check your APAM mailbox.

dave
Old 1st July 2013, 03:45 PM   #419
diyAudio Member

It was sent to old earthlink address which has been dead for 6 years. I updated account info so it will go to my email.
Old 21st August 2013, 06:31 PM   #420
dviswa is offline dviswa  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Yesterday, I was in my friends place and we were playing with the configuration of a pair of Frugle Horn with Alpair 7. Just for fun, I placed them just a few feet apart just like it would be if these were desktop speakers and listened. I know thinking of a floor standers as desktop speakers is odd. Yet, driven by my Sabre DAC and Beta 22, this turned out to be a killer configuration. I was blown away, now it is in my head, can't get it out, GAAAH.

Grrr, can't seem to stop cooking up all kinds of devious plans to get myself a pair. How I can convert a floor stander to serve as a desktop speakers.

Dinesh

Hide this!Advertise here!