Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 17th June 2013, 06:05 PM   #401
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeloPB View Post
ok I guess I am going to try the Alpair 7. I would prefer the grey over copper. Honestly, I really like the look of treated drivers that were dyed different colors under the thread "it's not easy being green." And yes, I would be interested in driver baffle package.
Making your own baffle is easy.
Old 18th June 2013, 03:27 PM   #402
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you decide on the Alpair7 and the suprabaffle option from Dave, note that the driver through hole in existing baffle rebated for Fostex will need to be enlarged to prevent constriction that would occur with the extra layer of material.

The version of the kit that is shipped with SB option has a large rectangular hole cut in the full length front panel.
Old 18th June 2013, 08:12 PM   #403
diyAudio Member

Can't I just order a regular bafflle rebated for MA drivers? Seems that the suprabaffle over exisiting one that requires modding is less then ideal way to go.
Old 19th June 2013, 11:12 AM   #404
diyAudio Member

Default baffles

I can't see why not - I guess I assumed you wanted to use exiting parts in the kit.

Dave will likely see and respond to this query any time soon - if he's out of stock of spare A7 baffles, it'd have to wait 'til I return from vacation next week. The only question would be if you plan to use the Alpairs with extra basket ring or not. Both the diameter and depth of rebate is different between the two.
Old 19th June 2013, 05:22 PM   #405
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Dave will likely see and respond to this query any time soon
Email me Angelo.

We have baffles for the A7 used with the bezel cover in the right material for your specific flat-pak, for use without the bezel cover we would need to scare up some baltic birch and make some new ones.

dave
Old 20th June 2013, 02:28 PM   #406
diyAudio Member

Will do. I am totally cool with using the bezels.
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:11 AM   #407
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Snip ... The only question would be if you plan to use the Alpairs with extra basket ring or not. Both the diameter and depth of rebate is different between the two.
Should be getting my kits from Toppsy tomorrow, which are cut for the Alpair7.3... Is this something I've overlooked? Or dependent on which generation of driver is used?

Not ordered my drivers yet because I've not been able to fully decide on a finish for the FH3's, and the copper or grey would suite different ones... Choices....

Paul
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:52 PM   #408
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildMeSomething View Post
Should be getting my kits from Toppsy tomorrow, which are cut for the Alpair7.3... Is this something I've overlooked? Or dependent on which generation of driver is used?

Not ordered my drivers yet because I've not been able to fully decide on a finish for the FH3's, and the copper or grey would suite different ones... Choices....

Paul
best answered by Colin

IIRC the 7.3s come with the baffles separate for the end user to choose, and they're pretty easy to install if Colin machined larger rebate
Old 23rd June 2013, 07:11 PM   #409
diyAudio Member

Now the proud owner of FH3 kits courtesy of Colin. Had the pleasure to chat with both him and his wife when they dropped the kits off... Ordered the grey Alpair7.3 minutes after they left to return home. Kits are cut for the 7's with baffle ring in place

Need to decide upon a finish, veneer, fully painted & lacquered, or a mix of the two... Either way, can't wait to here these babies sing!

Colin also mentioned the Alpair 10P & 12P for Classical music... But that's another project altogether.

Paul

Last edited by BuildMeSomething; 23rd June 2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 24th June 2013, 02:55 PM   #410
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Email me Angelo.

We have baffles for the A7 used with the bezel cover in the right material for your specific flat-pak, for use without the bezel cover we would need to scare up some baltic birch and make some new ones.

dave

I have not unpacked the box yet. But I am trying to weigh the feasibility of ordering new custom rebated baffles(the largest panel) vs modifying the Fostex one. Has anyone done this without using a supra baffle?

A. Looks like cleanest(and most expensive) option is just ordering rebated baffles.
B. Modify the Fostex baffle to fit the A7s, with or without supra baffle.
C. exchange/trade the Fostex for a MA one.

Hide this!Advertise here!