Adam0 is offline Adam0  Belgium
diyAudio Member

about three weeks - email me... hlovegrove@yahoo.com
Old 6th November 2012, 06:58 PM   #332
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam0 View Post
I can supply flat packs of the Frugelhorn Mk3. They will be made in Belgium and sent out from there. It is early days and I need to sort out the royalties etc with the Frugelhorn team and Martin. I will only offer high quality, finished (Oak or birch vineer) 18mm birch ply, semi assembled (I use mitre 45deg angle joints, all you need do is stain and varnish or paint, install the dampening material, fit the drivers and glue down the tops).
Excellent. Send me an email.

dave
Old 9th November 2012, 05:17 PM   #333
diyAudio Member

Default Frugal horns in a 5.1 home theater setup

Looking for a pair of flat packed FH MkIII's. Shipping to Dallas TX. Can someone quote me a price including shipping via PM.

Also interested in a Fonken center channel kit.

In addition I need to decide on the drivers. What would be the best recommendation for a home theater setup? I'm using a pair of Klipsch Ultra II KW-120THX passive subs powered by a 1000W Klipsch amp for the low frequencies.

Would the 125WK or the 126EN be suitable options? Are there better alternatives for this application. I've searched but there is very little in reference to multi-channel usage.

Last edited by CorradoBrit; 9th November 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 9th November 2012, 06:02 PM   #334
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Looking for a pair of flat packed FH MkIII's. Shipping to Dallas TX. Can someone quote me a price including shipping via PM.

Also interested in a Fonken center channel kit.

In addition I need to decide on the drivers. What would be the best recommendation for a home theater setup? I'm using a pair of Klipsch Ultra II KW-120THX passive subs powered by a 1000W Klipsch amp for the low frequencies.

Would the 125WK or the 126EN be suitable options? Are there better alternatives for this application. I've searched but there is very little in reference to multi-channel usage.

If you're considering Fostex drivers, either of the models cited above should probably work fine in the FH3, and I'm fairly certain that Dave has a design for a small center that could work for the 126.

As the FH3 was originally intended for 3-4" class of drivers, there are quite a few makes and models to chose from, but I'd avoid the temptation to try to shoehorn a larger driver.

Here's a crazy thought - FH3 & single (horizontal) Venom-V with FF125WK for the front row, and small (<9L?) enclosures with FF105 or 85WK for rear surrounds.

Whenever "home theater setup" is mentioned, it's assumed that it includes full 5.1 decoding, including DSP bass management & XO for mains. You'd want to use the direct or LFE input on your sub amp. While they will always have maximum SPL constraints, FR drivers of this weight class can work well in for HT applications in moderate sized rooms . Setting the HP filter points for the front row higher than the often found default setting of 80Hz will go a long way to mitigating against excursion issues.
Old 9th November 2012, 06:11 PM   #335
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
If you're considering Fostex drivers, either of the models cited above should probably work fine in the FH3, and I'm fairly certain that Dave has a design for a small center that could work for the 126.

As the FH3 was originally intended for 3-4" class of drivers, there are quite a few makes and models to chose from, but I'd avoid the temptation to try to shoehorn a larger driver.

Here's a crazy thought - FH3 & single (horizontal) Venom-V with FF125WK for the front row, and small (<9L?) enclosures with FF105 or 85WK for rear surrounds.

Whenever "home theater setup" is mentioned, it's assumed that it includes full 5.1 decoding, including DSP bass management & XO for mains. You'd want to use the direct or LFE input on your sub amp. While they will always have maximum SPL constraints, FR drivers of this weight class can work well in for HT applications in moderate sized rooms . Setting the HP filter points for the front row higher than the often found default setting of 80Hz will go a long way to mitigating against excursion issues.
Thanks for the input. I'm certainly not stuck on the Fostex if there are better, proven drivers for a 5.1 setup. I will have full bass management and decoding through an Audio Design Associates Mach II processor. The subwoofer amp also has a lot adjustment for filter point once its taken out of THX mode (80Hz).

I'm not a big tweaker, nor do I want to reinvent the wheel, so if anyone can offer any suggestions for drivers I'm all ears, so to speak.......
Old 9th November 2012, 07:59 PM   #336
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm certainly not stuck on the Fostex if there are better, proven drivers for a 5.1 setup. I will have full bass management and decoding through an Audio Design Associates Mach II processor. The subwoofer amp also has a lot adjustment for filter point once its taken out of THX mode (80Hz).

I'm not a big tweaker, nor do I want to reinvent the wheel, so if anyone can offer any suggestions for drivers I'm all ears, so to speak.......

If your budget allows, I'd consider the Mark Audio Alpairs as well - I happen to be using 7.2s for the front row of my own little system, with A6Ms in small sealed enclosures for the surrounds. While my own L&R are a different enclosure design due to "domestic acceptance" consideration, the 7s work like a charm in the FH3, and there's a proven (to my ears at least) design for small vented center.

As to operating the sub(s), I'd be inclined to leave in "THX mode", and utilize the surround processor, particularly if it includes capability for auto-calibration / EQ. Audyssey made the set up of my cheapie ($400) Denon receiver a breeze.

Last edited by chrisb; 9th November 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10th November 2012, 08:53 AM   #337
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
... & single (horizontal) Venom-V with FF125WK for centre ...
In the same manner as Aiko is used here...

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 12th November 2012, 04:13 PM   #338
diyAudio Member

Does anybody have a link or contact to someone that can provide the Frugel Horn MK3 ready made or flatpack in Europe?
I canīt find anybody who will make these in plywood.
Old 12th November 2012, 04:49 PM   #339
Adam0 is offline Adam0  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by promitheus View Post
Does anybody have a link or contact to someone that can provide the Frugel Horn MK3 ready made or flatpack in Europe?
We will be able to do this for you... We will have a price and delivery time for you tomorrow... Hope this helps? It will be virtually 'ready made' you will just need to put in the dampening material (we can provide this too, already inside, if you wish. and then you will need to attach the drive units (we can do this too, if you want. and then run them in with the tops of the cabinet taped down. when you are happy with the dampening, after about 100 hours of playing, then you simply glue the tops in place. Please let us know the options you prefer.
Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 06:43 PM   #340
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by promitheus View Post
Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!