Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 5th October 2012, 08:16 AM   #311
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Email me.

dave
Old 9th October 2012, 06:54 AM   #312
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave, I am looking forward to receiving your El70eN's.

These modded drivers are pre run-in for you to do matching, is their any burn-in I need to do once installed?
Old 9th October 2012, 07:16 PM   #313
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

They will still benefit from more break-in but the worst will be past with the drivers you recieve. The last bit of brea-in can only occur with real music played at varying levels.

dave
Old 27th October 2012, 06:07 PM   #314
diyAudio Member

Hello Planet 10

I have been following some of your post on clarifying the thor. I am new to the speaker building world but would like to build a pair of speakers in the near future. I would like to find a relatively small floorstanding speaker or a large monitor speaker. I have owned B&W 802 matrix but sold them about 2 years ago. I would like to find a speaker that has good imaging. We will unlikely be able to hear the speakers before we buy them. We now live in very remote area of Ontario. I would like a drum to sound like a drum and be at the back of the band. Male and female voices being close to correct. Need to stay relatively small as we are in a period in our life’s were we are prone to downsizing. I have a small knowledge of box type multiple driver speakers but virtually no knowledge of the full range speakers like the fostex. I have gone to your site but really did not gain much understanding. In some of the post you speak of single driver systems can you point me to documentation that explains the strengths and weakness of this type of speaker

thanks
Ben
Old 27th October 2012, 09:28 PM   #315
Adam0 is offline Adam0  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Single unit loudspeakers are not like any other type. In life there is always some compromise. The FH3's for example, sound fantastic - every instrument is clearly identifiable, the imaging is about as good as any speaker can be. But, and there is a but. If you are looking for thundering bass, then forget it. These speakers will not amaze you, but you won't get tired of them either. They are just very plain and straight forward - no 'wow' just beautiful sound without the hype and 'tis' 'boom' of multi-way devices.
Hope this helps?
Old 27th October 2012, 10:07 PM   #316
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

I was told by Rene' Jaeger that Dave has a minimalist transmission line tower, very small footprint, with an equally small full range on top. A two way, but with the phase correct and the timing correct this isn't an issue.

The thing Rene' could not get over was the combinations perfect portrayal of a large band playing jazz, at very loud levels if needed and without any faults available. Rene' is the guy responsible for the Berkley Audio DAC and in conjunction with Dr. Johnson, the HDCD encoding scheme, so, Grass Valley Group and Pacific Micro-systems in his resume. And, of course, a rather good ear.

The point being that Dave's Fonken resistive port cabinets and EnABL'd full range drivers will give you all that you mention as desirable and his TL expertise will provide the bottom octave with equal success. They really will be the last pair of speakers you buy and your wife will love how they reproduce high frequencies.

Bud
Old 27th October 2012, 10:41 PM   #317
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudP View Post
I was told by Rene' Jaeger that Dave has a minimalist transmission line tower, very small footprint, with an equally small full range on top. A two way, but with the phase correct and the timing correct this isn't an issue.
Click the image to open in full size.

At diyFEST the protos were biamped with a simple PLLXO, with these new ones we are working on a passive series XO.

Scott get's credit for the TL design of the helper woofers.

dave
Old 28th October 2012, 06:28 AM   #318
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

At diyFEST the protos were biamped with a simple PLLXO, with these new ones we are working on a passive series XO.

Scott get's credit for the TL design of the helper woofers.

dave

very interesting how the camera angle can affect the apparent color of the Jatoba caps and base plates - what the photo doesn't show is that there are two separate boxes per side
Old 28th October 2012, 06:37 AM   #319
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
very interesting how the camera angle can affect the apparent color of the Jatoba caps and base plates - what the photo doesn't show is that there are two separate boxes per side
You did a really nice job of matching up the veneer.

jeff
Old 28th October 2012, 10:53 AM   #320
Adam0 is offline Adam0  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Everything is possible with two-way designs... I really like to have two wires coming straight from the power amp to the back of the loudspeaker driver - nothing gets simpler than that :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!