Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 29th September 2012, 04:58 PM   #291
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirob View Post
I have the Fostex drivers in a pair of transmission line spkrs and I didn't like them much so I just experimented. The presence is amazing and I am totally happy. I use a self powered sub for the lowest of the lows but these really do a great job. Rated from 40hz to 40k hz! Very delicate speakers so take care mounting them.

which Fostex drivers exactly? If any of the FExx6 series, it's probably not a big surprise that they weren't satisfying in a TL - these types generally prefer BLH of some type
Old 1st October 2012, 08:00 AM   #292
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your patience in answering. May I ask another please... The CSS EL70 seems to be discontinued. What is your opinion regarding the MA CHR-70? It seems to have the lower Fo of A7 and FE126. The Qts is very much the same as A7 but higher than FE126. I am asking as it is very favorably priced compared to the other but if its no good I will rather spend the extra money if I have to.

Thanks
Willem
Old 1st October 2012, 03:06 PM   #293
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvesound View Post
I am asking as it is very favorably priced
Willem,

My personal opinion?

It is my least favorite of the current MA drivers. It is still a good driver.

And preference does play into it. Bert Timmermins (sp?), editor of one of the German diy magazines likes it better than A7.3. Lots of others thrilled with it to.

If you have to import your drivers, consider that i still have EL70eN (and stock EL70), and rumoh.nl has both EL70 & CHP70.1 (these last rather cheap).

dave
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:41 AM   #294
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave,

What would you charge me for a pair of EL70eN or stock EL70 shipped to Johannesburg South Africa?
(I am not keen on the CHP-70.1 as they are really only extended range and not full range like the others and the CHR-70.3)

Willem
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:18 PM   #295
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Willem,

THis is where i'd normally say, send me an email, but realizing i am in my own forum i'm not breaking any rules writing it here

Stock EL70s are available out of the master pack until i run out of already pre-treated EL70 to process. They are $90/pr. Matched & treated drivers, i my opionion and others ar ebetter value at $160/pr.

If i discard the factory packing (part of which i do already) and take care in keeping package weight down i can get them to under 2 kg. This gives 4 postage options.

Fully insured & tracked:
$104 Air / $70 Surface

Small packet ($100 insurance/tracking is only implicit)
$73 Air / $59 Surface

dave
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:20 PM   #296
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvesound View Post
(I am not keen on the CHP-70.1 as they are really only extended range
You are thinking about the CHP70.2. The first gen CHP is much closer to the EL70. I haven't heard a pair but have asked Colin to chime in, he has instlled quite a few into his Frugel-Horns, and Zia who is the only member i know that has both EL70 and CHP70.1

dave
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:12 AM   #297
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Opinions on the CHP70 and the EL70 will differ from person to person. However, here is my tuppance.

The original, cream coned CHP70 gen1 was a good driver. It has a very natural sound especially with female voice. However, it does really benefit from a (Frugal) supertweeter to fill out the slight lack of top end. If they are still available the ERT26 is the way to go crossed over around 12K or above. The later black coned version CHP70 gen2 was a backwards step. I think Mark tried to achieve a vintage sound with this version but for me didn't work I much preferred the original but then again coupled with the MA tweeter #3 or CSS ERT26.

Though I haven't heard the EL70 I have only had good reviews and most that have both the original CHP and EL prefer the EL. So my recommendation (for what it's worth) would be go for the EL70 either in stock for or the modded Planet10 version. If you factor in the cost of the supertweeter to address the top end lack of the original CHP then you might as well go for Dave's modded version. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I would also add I much prefer the paper coned MA drivers to the metal coned. But again this is a personal thing. Though I have built quite a few the FH3 with all the MA drivers and Fostex. In order of preference I would always choose and recommend.

1. CHP70 gen1 with ERT26 or EL70 modded.
2. EL70 unmodded.
3. Alpair7 gen3
4. CHR70 gen3
5. CHP70 gen2
6. Any the Fostex

Others will completely disagree with this choice and lets face it these recommendations are always going to be a personal choice.

Hope this helps you decide.
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:59 AM   #298
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot Toppsy. It certainly helps.
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:16 AM   #299
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Willem,

As Dave mentioned I have both the EL-70 and the CHP-70 gen 1. The EL-70 is more extended at both the top and bottom end and can play louder; however I prefer the CHP-70 gen 1 for vocals - they sound smooth and natural to me, the overall sound is slightly more relaxed vs the EL-70, which sound more dynamic and "muscular" to my ears. The top end with my amps is adequate (for me) with both drivers. Both are good drivers which have some similarities in their sonic signature and a good match for the FH MK3 cabinet.

No experience with the CHP-70.2.
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:11 PM   #300
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Colin: I think that's a fair and balanced statement - my only comment would be that I think Mark's revision to the CHP70.2 was based on feedback from some of his clientele, and that he's now quite aware of how others feel about its performance in comparison to the rest of the line-up.

It's been discussed before, and I'd be surprised if before too long we don't see several new models - indeed the inner circle may already be aware of such, and sworn to secrecy. We'll just have to wait and hear.

Overall, I'm probably on the same page as you regarding the paper / metal thing - as amazing as Mark's achievements are with the metals, his papers are quite wonderful - and it's very interesting what invisible differences in materials, adhesives, etc can do to season the flavors.

Last edited by chrisb; 3rd October 2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: bloviation

Hide this!Advertise here!