Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 10th December 2011, 05:38 PM   #211
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your audio-empathy, guys!
Kyle, given your broomstick-wielding toddler, I almost feel lucky...
I knew full well that I can't get attached to anything within reach of the lil' guy; that's just part of growing up (him as well as me...).
I can - as everyone else who did it - only recommend building these. In my mind, they are the perfect combination of looks, ease of build and sonic capabilities. It really helps that the aesthetic appeals to the wife as well. I listen to all different kind of stuff and with most types of music, these perform excellent. I have a preference for acoustic and vocal (live) stuff, which is where these really shine. Close your eyes and you really think you're there! It boggles my mind as to how much bass comes out of these; nice, clear, non-boomy bass. Beautiful!

Chris, thanks for sharing your valuable finishing advice. It may be a while before I get to it because we are planning a move up to Washington state early next year, so there's plenty of other stuff to take care of, given wir are in the process of buying a house.

I may just live with the results from the little inquisitive fingers as I don't hear any difference. It sounds as if the cone/cap treatment transforms the material into something stiffer that is going to be hard to make look good.
I am wondering if just hiding the drivers behind some acoustic fabric will have a good effect. In IT we call that 'security by obfuscation'... It doesn't prevent ill effects from determined 'hackers', but it makes it less obvious where the interesting stuff is. Maybe it works with Lukas...!? ;-)

Anyway, I'll ponder some more and wait a little longer to see how much it really bugs me before deciding on corrective action. Maybe I'll just put some proximity sensing device in that plays back a recorded warning statement whenever anything/-body comes close to the cones. That may REALLY freak him out, though....

Again, appreciate all the input here and via email (thanks, Dave!!).
Back to just listening to the horns with eyes closed,
Stefan

Last edited by dagerman; 10th December 2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 4th January 2012, 09:08 AM   #212
diyAudio Member

I'm wondering if there will be another run of flat packs and if so when they'll be available? I'm in Australia so I imagine shipping could be quite exxy though I noticed on the Frugal Horn site that Cottage industry Flatt-pak manufacture is starting up in Australia
Old 4th January 2012, 09:27 AM   #213
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Round 3 is underway. Round 2 is almost all packed up and shipped out.

It is not possible to send a flat-pak by mail to Oz, just too big.

But you can get a flat-pak from Ben (aka Thornspawn -- in the Melbourne area). SOUND WITH STYLE - CUSTOM LOUDSPEAKERS Frugel Horn MK3 kit flat pack Mark Audio Fostex Tang Band

dave
Old 4th January 2012, 09:33 AM   #214
diyAudio Member

Awesome, thanks for the quick response mate!
Old 5th January 2012, 08:23 PM   #215
Sfwg is offline Sfwg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Is Florida Too Far For A Mk3 Flat-pak Shipment

Dave:

I haven't built a pair of speakers since about 1990 when I put together a two-way with Vifa drivers from Meniscus Audio. Refurbishing some passive B&O speakers from the 1970s and 1980s has put the itch in me to build my first pair in 20+ years. After poking about diyAudio for a month or two, I'd love a go at the Frugel-Horn Mk3, but only if I can get a hold of a flat-pak. I've seen you quote Florida shipping at over $100, but you thought that might be a low-ball. Any chance in getting a flat pak down to Florida?

Rich
Old 5th January 2012, 09:34 PM   #216
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The 1st flat-pak that went out the door was to Florida. All of the initial postage ests turned out to be low ball.

Florida is about as far away as you can get from here. (althou one flat-pak did get to Japan cmpliments of the US military.

Post to Florida on the basic flat-pak with no drivers would be $125. We are well into pre-orders on round 3 which Chris & Tak are in the midst of manufacturing

dave
Old 6th January 2012, 12:12 AM   #217
Sfwg is offline Sfwg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I'm in

Count me in then. I will contact you via Email through your commercial site.
Old 9th January 2012, 07:09 PM   #218
Labbe is offline Labbe  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know if its possible buy a flat-pack in scandinavia?
Old 9th January 2012, 07:16 PM   #219
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Colin (aka Toppsy) makes then in the UK and has, i believed shipped to Scandinavia. Rudy (RumoH) is tooling up, if not already shipping, flat-paks out of the Netherlands.

I amencouraging local cottage industiry so hopefully someone closer eventually.

dave
Old 9th January 2012, 07:46 PM   #220
Labbe is offline Labbe  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the quick response.
Ill see what i can find out.

Hide this!Advertise here!