• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks

If you decide on the Alpair7 and the suprabaffle option from Dave, note that the driver through hole in existing baffle rebated for Fostex will need to be enlarged to prevent constriction that would occur with the extra layer of material.

The version of the kit that is shipped with SB option has a large rectangular hole cut in the full length front panel.

baffles

I can't see why not - I guess I assumed you wanted to use exiting parts in the kit.

Dave will likely see and respond to this query any time soon - if he's out of stock of spare A7 baffles, it'd have to wait 'til I return from vacation next week. The only question would be if you plan to use the Alpairs with extra basket ring or not. Both the diameter and depth of rebate is different between the two.

Snip ... The only question would be if you plan to use the Alpairs with extra basket ring or not. Both the diameter and depth of rebate is different between the two.

Should be getting my kits from Toppsy tomorrow, which are cut for the Alpair7.3... Is this something I've overlooked? Or dependent on which generation of driver is used?

Not ordered my drivers yet because I've not been able to fully decide on a finish for the FH3's, and the copper or grey would suite different ones... Choices.... :rolleyes:

Paul

Should be getting my kits from Toppsy tomorrow, which are cut for the Alpair7.3... Is this something I've overlooked? Or dependent on which generation of driver is used?

Not ordered my drivers yet because I've not been able to fully decide on a finish for the FH3's, and the copper or grey would suite different ones... Choices.... :rolleyes:

Paul

best answered by Colin

IIRC the 7.3s come with the baffles separate for the end user to choose, and they're pretty easy to install if Colin machined larger rebate

Now the proud owner of FH3 kits courtesy of Colin. Had the pleasure to chat with both him and his wife when they dropped the kits off... Ordered the grey Alpair7.3 minutes after they left to return home. Kits are cut for the 7's with baffle ring in place :)

Need to decide upon a finish, veneer, fully painted & lacquered, or a mix of the two... Either way, can't wait to here these babies sing!

Colin also mentioned the Alpair 10P & 12P for Classical music... But that's another project altogether.

Paul

Last edited:
Email me Angelo.

We have baffles for the A7 used with the bezel cover in the right material for your specific flat-pak, for use without the bezel cover we would need to scare up some baltic birch and make some new ones.

dave

I have not unpacked the box yet. But I am trying to weigh the feasibility of ordering new custom rebated baffles(the largest panel) vs modifying the Fostex one. Has anyone done this without using a supra baffle?

A. Looks like cleanest(and most expensive) option is just ordering rebated baffles.
B. Modify the Fostex baffle to fit the A7s, with or without supra baffle.
C. exchange/trade the Fostex for a MA one.

I have not unpacked the box yet. But I am trying to weigh the feasibility of ordering new custom rebated baffles(the largest panel) vs modifying the Fostex one. Has anyone done this without using a supra baffle?

A. Looks like cleanest(and most expensive) option is just ordering rebated baffles.
B. Modify the Fostex baffle to fit the A7s, with or without supra baffle.
C. exchange/trade the Fostex for a MA one.

While the Alpair will fit in the same size through hole as the Fostex, there are several reasons why it's not really practical to modify the baffles to fit A7.3:

-The corners of Fostex pincushion frame extend beyond the Alpair's perimeter, even when using the larger ring
- The Alpair's composite resin flanges are considerably thicker than the Fostex, and while some may disagree with our decision on rebating all Fostex frames, there's not much disputing Mark's advice to do so for his.
As well, the general consensus, and certainly our practice, is to relieve the rear side of driver opening for fullrange drivers of this size with a 45` bevel or roundover to reduce reflections at the area that is closest to the cone/surround boundary.

Using 18mm plywood or even "full 3/4" MDF, etc, this combination leaves not a lot of material core for any type of fastener (I quite liked the sheet metal type socket head screws that Mark supplies), and I recommend scalloping the relief around the area of the 4 basket legs. (see attached photo with our dead "fitment sample" A7 basket.

- To successfully rebate the Fostex baffle for flush fitting of A7.3 would require the fabrication of a pattern template, careful alignment of same with the very delicate driver temporarily mounted the existing hole, a sharp pattern following mortising router bit, and just to make Terry O happy, some bondo to fill the corners of the pincushion pattern.

All in all, for anyone with the tools and expertise to to that, it would be much easier to make a new baffle, either full length or removable supra-baffle.

Dave does have baffles available for A7.3 with extra ring in matching BB to the flat packs in question.

Attachments

• A7scalloped.JPG
    A7scalloped.JPG
    595.8 KB · Views: 636
Last edited:
O.K. So the pictured baffle ^ is a square, not the full front panel. I thought the baffle ran the entire height of the box. The square baffle in the photo can be used with the exiting front panel? If so, is it a supra baffle or does it fit flush. I am sorry if this is a dumb question. I have not unpacked mine and I have only studied the photos which do not appear to use a square segmented portion of the baffle.
Thnaks!

Dave,

Yesterday, I was in my friends place and we were playing with the configuration of a pair of Frugle Horn with Alpair 7. Just for fun, I placed them just a few feet apart just like it would be if these were desktop speakers and listened. I know thinking of a floor standers as desktop speakers is odd. Yet, driven by my Sabre DAC and Beta 22, this turned out to be a killer configuration. I was blown away, now it is in my head, can't get it out, GAAAH.

Grrr, can't seem to stop cooking up all kinds of devious plans to get myself a pair. How I can convert a floor stander to serve as a desktop speakers.

Dinesh