Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 17th November 2011, 08:30 AM   #201
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkpuller View Post
Unfortunately my flat pack sits waiting on my 'shop' floor.

boo.
Corkpuller,

You got to pull the flat paks off the floor and complete the build! These are very enjoyable speakers, and you're missing out on the fun.
Old 17th November 2011, 05:39 PM   #202
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9s View Post
Here's my nearly complete pair of Frugel Horns, just have to finish up the outriggers.
Bryan, do post these in the FH3 Gallery thread, including a link to your buildpage.

dave
Old 18th November 2011, 02:48 AM   #203
diyAudio Member

just dropped it in, thanks for the suggestion
Old 22nd November 2011, 09:42 PM   #204
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Inparticular Ron Clarke with the signature curved mouth opening.
A bit OT, but what happened to Ron? I haven't seen him on any forums for quite a few years.
Old 22nd November 2011, 09:55 PM   #205
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Guess he decided he had other things to do... Scott did hear from him a few months back, so we know he is still kicking.

dave
Old 5th December 2011, 10:22 PM   #206
owen is offline owen  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default I'm guessing

That Ron's busy. Good to hear that he's still kicking though.

Oh, and a welcome back to me.

Dave my email address hasnt changed - could you let me know the hows/whats for the typical local hobby manufacturer of the flatpaks.?

Thanks

Owen
Old 10th December 2011, 04:10 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

Default Frugelicious!

Got my flatpak 10 days ago (four days from Canada to California!) and have since put them together with Dave's treated FE126en.
The paks are super nice and assembly is a snap. All CNC cuts are very precise; almost a little too precise... I needed to sand down a bit in various places around the inner and rear panels to allow excess glue to escape.

I took some pictures during assembly and then upgraded my iPhone to iOS 5, which managed to do nasty things to some of my data; those pictures amongst it. Not what I am used from Apple.

Back to the topic on hand: I hooked these up to my Tubelab SSE with KT-88 power tubes, put in 'Making Music' from Zakir Hussain and my mouth fell open. I instantly remembered the comment I read on here from chrisb about a '$hit eating grin'. Fantastic! I had broken in the drivers in the weeks before I received the flatpak already, but I am still a little careful with too much volume/too dynamic stuff. But if what I hear now is an indication of things to come, these will be the last speakers I really need for a while.

I read a lot about these before deciding to build them, so I know I am not telling anybody anything new. It's my first build that consisted of more than some cheap particleboard and drivers whipped together in a box of sorts (which is what I did when I was 16) and I am really happy that I did it.

The not so happy note is that my 2-year old in his limitless curiosity obviously (I didn't see it) stuck his finger in the center cone of one driver and dented it. He's just a peanut, I can't really be mad at him...
If anybody has any tricks on how to get that back out, I may try it. I don't think I can hear the sonic impact of this deformed cone. Not sure if you can see it in the picture.

What you see is still the unfinished wood. I think they will be stained and clear-coated, the wife has been asked to pick a stain.

Thanks to the designer trio for a speaker design that is versatile, easy to build, sounds fantastic and has [had] an instantly high WAF! :-)

Stefan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (263.7 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1 (1).jpg (281.3 KB, 494 views)
Old 10th December 2011, 04:46 AM   #208
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

email me ref dustcap.

dave
Old 10th December 2011, 04:55 AM   #209
diyAudio Member

Oh man, my own personal nightmare. My son (16months) has taken to walking around swinging a broom. I have even had a few adults take a look at my CHR-70s and motion their hands at them. They are unscathed so far, but it feels inevitable.

I am beginning to think that each pair of frugal horns I see brings me a step closer to building a set.

Kyle
Old 10th December 2011, 05:12 AM   #210
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Stefan - sorry to hear about the dust caps - time to think about protective grilles?* and maybe like other minor knicks and dents (to be) accumulated from little ones' discoveries, you'll look back on it fondly.

Be aware that the BB plywood can get a bit splotchy with darker stains - even Watco oils etc, unless preconditioned / sealed. It does look quite decent with natural nitrocellulose lacquer or shellac - not so much with clear polyurethanes. (i.e. very cold and plasticy).

I'm personally a bit ( very ) lazy when it comes to the time required for a nice rubbed oil and wax finish.

These should have had a cursory 220G random orbit sanding, but it wouldn't hurt to check for swirl marks with a quick evaporating splash of lacquer thinners or toluene based contact cement cleaner. That would also give you a good idea as to how a "natural" clear coat might look. If you do find additional sanding is required, an electric or air driven RO sander to no finer than 220G should be sufficient unless you're looking for a "piano grade" finish.

* not the prettiest things, but inexpensive and certainly do the job:

Fostex K312 Grill Pair - Fits FE126E, FE127E, FF125K, FW127: Madisound Speaker Store

Last edited by chrisb; 10th December 2011 at 05:15 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!