• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil Pics, lets show 'em!

Planet10 had some plans with different dimensions. I stretched it out a bit but kept the same internal volume and port length. Not an exact science but after covering 75% of the inside with felt it sounds very neutral with an 80Hz crossover (my receiver only offers 80/100/120/off crossover settings, otherwise I'd try 50Hz).

my pensil mules

Here are my quick and dirty pensils.

A pair of CHR70's and a 10.2 in the making.

They're MDF mules as I wanted a quick prototype to check how the pensil alignment sounds before splurging for BB plywood , and I must say I'm impressed with what the CHR-70s in the pensils can do, so much so that I'm tempted to seal them up and give them a quick paint job.

Still breaking them in (around 100 hours so far)

The top side pic is to show the difference between the 10.2 and the CHR70 box.

Attachments

• pensil mdf small.jpg
    pensil mdf small.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 979
  • pensil mdf top small.jpg
    pensil mdf top small.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 955
Apologies for the less than stellar image quality but as promised I thought I'd share my slightly eccentric Pensil build. With very little time to spare, this glacially paced build has taken me a long, long time. But I couldn't be happier with it.

GdzgWgH.jpg

If you're interested, the baffle is veneered in Santos Rosewood and the rest in Cocobolo, all finished simply with a little danish oil and some Renaissance wax. I am assured that the veneers were sourced from responsibly managed forests.

Now, I know I made a couple of decisions that most of you guys will balk at, namely the oversized baffle and the spindly legs. But I'm no audiophile connoisseur. I'm still tuning the stuffing (being ably advised in another thread) but so far I am extraordinarily happy with what I see and more importantly what I hear. The concept may be flawed (the craftsmanship certainly is!) but to my untrained ears, these speakers are several orders of magnitude better than the budget crud I've been used to.

I want to reiterate my enormous gratitude to the community here. There was no chance I could afford a pair of speakers of this quality without a DIY effort and there was no chance of that without Mark's Alpairs, Scottmoose's Pensil designs and the guidance of the kind souls here.

Thank you everyone!

Last edited: