• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil Pics, lets show 'em!

Here's a gorgeous pair from the main gallery:

218249d1302657347-full-range-speaker-photo-gallery-ap10.jpg

Looks gorgeous, no doubt...

But if it's a Pensil, where is port at the front?

Went to the main gallery and came across the builder's explanation - the port is at the back.

I am no expert, but shouldn't that change cab characteristics?

-Zia

Yeah I guess its not a Pensil from the way he explained it. I presumed he just moved the port to the back and maintained the Pensil design but apparently not. Should I remove the pic and link since its technically not a Pensil?

Pensil A7

standard chrisby treatment - lotsa bracing, cherry veneer, magnetic grilles - temporarily under the TV - Alpair7 center, and hiding in the corner, one of pair of dual Eastech woofers

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 1,760
  • IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 1,177
  • IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 1,146
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yeah I guess its not a Pensil from the way he explained it. I presumed he just moved the port to the back and maintained the Pensil design but apparently not. Should I remove the pic and link since its technically not a Pensil?

There is at least one set of Pensils in Oz, that went ahead because i suggested that mounting the driver on the back (or the sides) should be fine,

You'd probably also be fine doubling the depth, putting a terminus on the back just like the front, mounting a driver on each side & then rotating the box to make the side the front...

dave

Really nice clean application, Chris!
Are the front cabinet edges bevelled, (or a photo artifact)?
Don
( you got mail)

Very handsome Chrisb!

I am pretty sure I see bevelling on the front edges.

-Zia

say yes to the bevels - even though mostly cosmetic at these dimensions, I just really like the slimming effect - and i'ts not particularly hard to fold the flexible paper back veneer over 45deg

and with my skill set it takes a whole lot less time and expense to veneer and lacquer than to achieve a decent paint finish

Don: "mail" lost in the mail (don't forget that UPS takes at least an extra day on the Island, even if not addressed off it )

Last edited:
Not shown, but definitely worth considering some bracing between the two large panels. I've heard the LF excitement dual EL70 can elicit, this could be very interesting indeed. Keep in mind that as will all bipoles, proximity in regards to rear boundary can complicate placement.