• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil Pics, lets show 'em!

Stuffing seems to me to be very room dependent and placement dependent along with some personal preferences. My 10.2 Pencils have a bit of damping on the walls in the upper third of the cabinet and a couple of handfulls of poly fibre pillow stuffing about 15cm up from the bottom.

My 7.3 Pencils have quite a bit more stuffing using the blue recycled denim in the top half of the cabinet. I'm still working on tuning the 7.3 and will remove stuffing as I go.

Picture of my not quite finished pensil 70.3! They need som paint! :)
I play them with two subwoofers crossed at 150hz. I'm very pleased with the sound!
2013-09-02 11.44.15.jpg

We moved back into our house in July but didn't get around to taking any new pics. Sorry about the quality, they were taken with my 4s.

SuperPensil12's and custom Mar-Ken12 Centre

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpg
    IMG_0737.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 790
  • IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 734
Whats the subs?

How is it all powered.

Nice!

Subs are MFW-15's (V1's with the good amps). I have an Onkyo TX-SR805 powering it all now. I also have an Emotiva UMC-1 and a set of 150w Class D monoblocks but this room is extra sensative to ground loop hums and I couldn't get rid of it with the Emo/Mono's no matter what I tried so I swapped in the Onkyo and now more hum/buzzing. I'd like to get an Anthem but we'll see.

And thanks!!

Scott

Pensil 6 with driver version 1

I had these drivers installed in the cyburg needle but after i made the pensil 7.3 they needed there own pensil.
Not easy with a square mount of this driver but i made something different and it looks great.
Hope you like it too.
The bafle is solid wood with mahonie inlay.
The frame around the driver is beech.
The sound is great.

Attachments

• 1379789518170.png
    1379789518170.png
    365.8 KB · Views: 737
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My first non-commercial speakers..A12.2p in Superpensils with Zebrano veneer..This lousy picture doesn't even capture the looks of this speaker..I could only spend a day with them, i have since travelled abroad, but what a day...
I wasn't messing around with placement and stuffing variations thanks to little time i could spend with them, that'll come in November.. with final pictures of the whole chain, with the room rearranged as well.

MA 12P Pensils

...just finished Pencils for Alpair 12P's with a few days to spare before BurningAmp on Sunday. I wasn't really planning to complete these so soon after completing a previous build, but really wanted to bring them to the show.
3/4" Baltic Birch is used and only the baffle is veneered (bubinga burl) to hide the grill magnets.

The 12Ps were broken-in for about 270 hrs before installation....the last 70 hrs were stepped-up to moderate volume. They really do sound glorious! Big, dynamic and size, size, size compared to my other builds.

They're powered right now by NP's AmpCampAmp at 5w SE/ch. To me they are exceptionally revealing. After initial completion-euphoria, I notice tiny high-pitched guitar processor artifacts on one of my favorite OHM tracks...something I've never heard before on any other speakers. They expose nuance on quite a few recordings I'm well familiar with and love them for that. They seem to excel with just about anything not too complicated that is well recorded.

...thanks to Scott for the plans, Mark for the drivers and Variac for the suggestions to get these done before Sunday's event.....

Mario

Attachments

• P9250397.JPG
    P9250397.JPG
    435.9 KB · Views: 881
  • PA030404.jpg
    PA030404.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 890
  • PA030407.JPG
    PA030407.JPG
    440.7 KB · Views: 858
  • PA030411.jpg