• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil Pics, lets show 'em!

lots of nice builds.

my only question is why plywood or hardwood? why not mdf and veneer? i always thought mdf was the best for resonance. the enclosure is so dependent on the construction and materials used, i wouldn't want to use something that can change (hardwood) in different conditions.

either way lots of beautiful builds!

lots of nice builds.

my only question is why plywood or hardwood? why not mdf and veneer? i always thought mdf was the best for resonance. the enclosure is so dependent on the construction and materials used, i wouldn't want to use something that can change (hardwood) in different conditions.

either way lots of beautiful builds!

this has been "discussed" countless times, and to many folks takes on a degree of religiosity - perhaps let's not open up that can o worms again?

build with whichever material you think will sound better, and you'll probably be right

of course you could try identical builds with both and assess for yourself a sonic advantage of one over the other

and believe it or not, in the commercial cabinetry trade, MDF faced with real wood veneer is technically considered a "ply" wood

Did two people died?:D

Apologies for the less than stellar image quality but as promised I thought I'd share my slightly eccentric Pensil build. With very little time to spare, this glacially paced build has taken me a long, long time. But I couldn't be happier with it.

GdzgWgH.jpg

If you're interested, the baffle is veneered in Santos Rosewood and the rest in Cocobolo, all finished simply with a little danish oil and some Renaissance wax. I am assured that the veneers were sourced from responsibly managed forests.

Now, I know I made a couple of decisions that most of you guys will balk at, namely the oversized baffle and the spindly legs. But I'm no audiophile connoisseur. I'm still tuning the stuffing (being ably advised in another thread) but so far I am extraordinarily happy with what I see and more importantly what I hear. The concept may be flawed (the craftsmanship certainly is!) but to my untrained ears, these speakers are several orders of magnitude better than the budget crud I've been used to.

I want to reiterate my enormous gratitude to the community here. There was no chance I could afford a pair of speakers of this quality without a DIY effort and there was no chance of that without Mark's Alpairs, Scottmoose's Pensil designs and the guidance of the kind souls here.

Thank you everyone!