• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

FE12x dustcap fix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PS: on the dustcap send me an email (with picture if possible). There is a "cheap" fix which can at least partially ameriolate the problem, without resorting to phase plugs.

dave

Couldn't figure out how to add an attachment on the forum e-mail, so here's a couple. Aidan wasn't content with an inquisitive poke, he went right for the jugular with a twist and pinch technique. Tried using tape but it didn't budge the dents much. A vacuum helped, took some of the depth out of the dents, but these are "after" pictures.

Attachments

• P1000381.JPG
    P1000381.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 831
  • P1000379.JPG
    P1000379.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 827
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Aidan wasn't content with an inquisitive poke, he went right for the jugular with a twist and pinch technique.

They might be pushed in too far for this technique (i'd try it, but you may need a dustcapectomy & phase plugs):

The idea is to carefully push the dustcaps in so that you have a concave dustcap. You will see in the closeup that the crease is at the top EnABL ring on the dustcap. Try to get it as symetrical and smooth as possible. You want to try to keep it about there -- too much doesn't work. You'll need to do both drivers. You probably want to take drivers out of the box to do it. After i did it i added a couple coats of PVA to fix it in place (diluted white wood glue will work -- i used mod podge i had dyed black.

Oin can work, but it never fully pulls the cap out.

dave

Attachments

• concave-FE12x-cap.jpg
    concave-FE12x-cap.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 825
I have had success with cutting a small V in what will eventually be the side of the restructured dome. This allows you to get in with some small blunt tools and enough force to pull the dust cap back out. You will probably need to find some crochet hooks to use as burnishing tools to take the last bit of creasing out. You can moisten the creases slightly too. Use a very fine , thin razor blade to make the cuts. An Xacto style pointed blade works the best for me.

It won't ever again be perfect.

After pulling it out you reseal the v back into the cap wit a small amount of carpenters white glue (poly vinyl acrylic).

The pin trick works if you have bent the end and can get enough force applied without tearing through the material. PVA for the hole.

Bud

Phase plugs are pretty difficult to install on the 127e, aren't they?

The dent is about 2mm away from the black ring at the base of the dust cap at it's closest point. Isn't there a wire behind the dust cap that I'd have to worry about if I chose to make the caps concave?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Phase plugs are pretty difficult to install on the 127e, aren't they?

The dent is about 2mm away from the black ring at the base of the dust cap at it's closest point. Isn't there a wire behind the dust cap that I'd have to worry about if I chose to make the caps concave?

Seems that that was an issue with early FE12x that have a more squared off magnet cover. No-one with the newer ones with more rounded cover have had issues. I'd still proceed woth caution and try the concave dome 1st.

dave

Ok, I'll give it a whirl in the morning. Just push it down in the middle of the dustcap until it's mostly concave? From the pictures it looks like I'd stop when the still-convex portion of the dustcap is about where my dent ends, around 2mm from the black ring around it?

Any other tips/words of encouragement are welcome, I must admit I'm feeling a bit trepidatious.

Here's what it looks like after the first go round. I used my index finger and smoothed as much as I could as I slowly pushed the center of the dome down. The driver's had one light coat of puzzlekoat which I don't think made this any easier.

Attachments

• P1000391.JPG
    P1000391.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 766
  • P1000392.JPG
    P1000392.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 758
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.