Twin pipe resonant air couplers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 25th May 2011, 12:28 AM   #11
leeoh is offline leeoh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Zia. Yes, it is a straightforward build. The only complication for some might be joining the two tubes on each side of differing height. I cut them both to the required size, then used a biscuit joiner to join them. Doweling would work as well. just buy some "Dowel Points" from the local hardware store and put them to use. Fairly straightforward operation and used carefully you get a strong, level join. Use a dowel bit for the mating hole(they have sharp pointed tips). The bits which most of us use, tend to wander in timber/ man made boards. The dowels should also be fluted along their length to allow for the glue to escape when the dowel is pushed into place. A split will probably appear otherwise, due to hydraulic pressure. i use a lot of glue on chipboard edges as they are very absorbent. My cheap and (now) cheerful clamps were all made in Taiwan and had a nasty habit of loosening after I had tightened them and walked away. They are sliding "G" cramps, so i drilled holes along the bar on which the adjustable section slides and just but a piece of wire into the hole, then tighten the sliding section to it. No problems in twenty years of use and they are much cheaper than their lovely German counterparts.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:38 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave. The last price I had here for good ply was $Au187 a 2.4m X 1.2m sheet. We can get cheaper board but some of the respondents on the forum say that the cheap boards may have voids which can rattle if there is loose stuff in them. I don't much like using particle board. The smell when being cut it is not enjoyable and I am wary of its dust as there is a lot of adhesive used in its manufacture. I mostly use a good dust mask, so hopefully will avoid any ill effects. But the price is hard to ignore and it is a very serviceable product.
Old 5th July 2011, 01:13 AM   #13
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Default Eastmoore build question

Scott, Dave,

For East Moor, What would be the measurement of the gap pointed out in the picture attached?

Thanks,
Zia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eastmoor_01.jpg (54.6 KB, 224 views)
Old 5th July 2011, 01:47 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Scott, Dave,

For East Moor, What would be the measurement of the gap pointed out in the picture attached?

Thanks,
Zia
zman01. Scott or Dave might also reply, but the gap showing on their plan and which I downloaded and to which I adhered, is 5'' or 127mm. Hope this helps. Leeoh
Old 5th July 2011, 01:51 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Eastmoor? We've never released an eastmoor (althou a surprising number of boxes have "applied" for the priviledge).

If you are talking about Aln for the A12 it is 4.5" (as per the plans)

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/Wod...map-281209.pdf

dave
Old 5th July 2011, 02:00 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Scott, Dave,

Thanks,
Zia
zman01. The email to me came in as a query about a "Twin pipe resonant air coupler and i assumed it referred to my Windermere build with 2 X EL70 in each side. However, the diagram on your site shows just one speaker unit, so the gap might be different. Hope I haven't confused you. Robert.
Old 5th July 2011, 02:45 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Zia. I seem to have had a query from you but can't see it on the forum. I fastened the tubes together for the Windermere, then made a "plug' of the appropriate size and glued/ screwed it into place to cover the bottom of each tube. Leeoh
Old 5th July 2011, 03:47 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Eastmoor? We've never released an eastmoor (althou a surprising number of boxes have "applied" for the priviledge).

If you are talking about Aln for the A12 it is 4.5" (as per the plans)

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-281209.pdf

dave
Dave,

As far as I remember, got the East Moor plans from the CHR-70 application thread. Designed and drawn by Scott Lindgren.

Here you go:

Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread

-Zia
Old 5th July 2011, 03:52 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeoh View Post
zman01. The email to me came in as a query about a "Twin pipe resonant air coupler and i assumed it referred to my Windermere build with 2 X EL70 in each side. However, the diagram on your site shows just one speaker unit, so the gap might be different. Hope I haven't confused you. Robert.
No worries Robert, I didn't get confused , I know your one is Windmere which is dual EL70. Thanks for your response!
Old 5th July 2011, 04:55 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
As far as I remember, got the East Moor plans from the CHR-70 application thread. Designed and drawn by Scott Lindgren.
You'll have to be more specific, what post in that thread.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!