Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 13th January 2011, 08:05 PM   #41
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
...that the A10 is better suited for low XO. Do you agree with this?
Yes,

Quote:
Would double A7's accomplish similar results?
We'll see

Quote:
Will it be better to have forward facing woofer to help eliminate room interaction. Firing into 4pi space XO low, is this as important. It seems I remember that room interaction/gain is important down low.
Whatever suits. With a low XO on the back (at the bottom) is an option as well.

dave
Old 14th January 2011, 04:14 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

between the 10.2 and 7, which will give the best off axis performance on the high end. Why would a smaller driver do better in this respect.
Old 14th January 2011, 04:31 PM   #43
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

If I can pipe in with a few observations/comments:

1) I've been playing for a couple of weeks now with combinations of A12 & A7 in a continually evolving HT rig . So far it's only 3.1 ( surrounds will be tricky due to room layout), with dual SDX7 on LFE channel. As even relatively inexpensive current entry level surround receivers ( Denon AVR1610 in this case) have a great deal of flexibility of XO points in the speaker configuration, it's easier than ever to tailor to your particular needs. After manually fine tuning the EQ/XO settings calculated by the Audyssey system, I vastly preferred the seamless integration of 3 of the smaller Alpair7 for the front row.

2) Since SuperTysen is still in the conceptual stage, and considering our experience with the microtower design, I'd extrapolate that with appropriate woofer(s) of whatever flavor, a pair of A7 in bipole configuration would be more than adequate. I can't wait to see Dave's final design.

3) With little kiddies and the attendant activities, you might want to consider something sturdier than simple fabric grille cloths for protection - the metal cones of Alpairs are certainly more delicate than paper.
Old 14th January 2011, 04:33 PM   #44
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

In theory the 7 gives less HF beaming. Beaming, in general, is proportional to driver size (cone shape, & controlled flex, ensure that not all drivers of the same size are not equal thou)

dave
Old 14th January 2011, 05:21 PM   #45
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
between the 10.2 and 7, which will give the best off axis performance on the high end. Why would a smaller driver do better in this respect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
In theory the 7 gives less HF beaming. Beaming, in general, is proportional to driver size (cone shape, & controlled flex, ensure that not all drivers of the same size are not equal thou)

dave

I had to confirm whether I'd actually heard the 10.2 - as it turns out we did back in August, but for me it was overshadowed by a pair of Alpair 7s fully tweaked out by Dr EnABL (BudP) himself. Even in stock form, the 7 is simply something special, and with appropriate woofers would certainly be on my short list.
Actually it already is - as mentioned elsewhere, I'm currently fine tuning a smallish room HT surround system based on this driver for the front row 3, with dual powered SDX7 on the LFE channel.
Old 14th January 2011, 07:38 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Thank you both for the responses. I would like to be a guinea pig for this particular setup, but do not have the money to buy all the necessary drivers. With the dual A7's would you run dual woofers. Based on this I would be looking at about $700-$800 just for drivers, not including eNabling. Would you do a push-push woofer setup. Woofers would need to be in the 87-90dB range, correct.
Old 15th January 2011, 04:59 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

1. Edited due to stupidity of question.

2. Would mounting A7's slightly off angle horizontally help with dispersion?

3. Wiring in parallel seems to yield better results than wiring in series. How much power for parallel A7's.

4. Silver flute is cheap option for woofers. Would these yield good results? How about Dayton RS225?

Last edited by buzzforb; 15th January 2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 21st January 2011, 07:18 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

I am trying to make the decision of one pair of Alpair 10.2 vs two pairs of A7's and i am having trouble. Based on what you have said, the two 7's sound appealing, but i am worried about being able to drive them. I am building an Aleph J with higher bias current which should drive 30W into 4ohms. Will this be enough?
Old 21st January 2011, 07:36 PM   #49
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Dispersion on the gen 2 Alpairs is quite good, EnABLed (They seem) even better. I doubt you would gain more than you would loose by splaying drivers.

Wiring A7 in parallel requires a 2 ohm capable amplifier. Series wiring gives the option of making a 1.5 way with a shunt cap. A separate amp for each A7 would be an ideal situation.

Silver Flute make nice woofers. We are playing with the 5 1/2" and will likely do a variation with A6.2 and 2 5 1/4

A pair of A7 will give about the same efficiency as a single A10.2. But costs a fair amount more. The single driver means a simplier box, but either more restricted XO point options or possibly some EQ. Reason i went with 2 A7 was that it gives me more experimental flexibility. And we are still very much at an experimental stage.

dave
Old 1st February 2011, 03:26 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Those Silver Flute woofers DO look nice. How do you feel about their charts, Dave.

Silver Flute 5.25"

Looks like they have great extension both ways.

Hide this!Advertise here!