Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 7th January 2011, 03:05 AM   #31
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes. Front of sT will be Fonkenized.

dave
Old 7th January 2011, 11:50 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Do TL's help smooth both the SPL response and the impedance response, beyond giving an improved bass response. Specifically why you would want to add one to the A7 portion of the Tysen considering the augmentaion of the bass. Will the bass section have its own TL somewhat like the Ariel speaker. How important is the angle on the front face of the driver in determining the improvement to baffle diffraction. Does it have to be a certain angle and how does this affect the response using larger or smaller angles. I am willing to be a guinee pig on this project assuming you tell me everything you know in the next of couple of days. Side note. My ceilings are 8ft. so i am unsure if the castle setup will work. I am also unwilling/unable to spend money on 4 woofers per speaker so maybe I can do a half-super tysen.
Old 7th January 2011, 09:21 PM   #33
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The TLs are not for bass-extension. As a mid-TL they are damped opposite of a TL trying to achieve bass reinforcement (light behind the driver, getting progressively heaver as the terminus is approached, in the end trying to be aperiodic). The idea is to have a low pressure enclosure, with little or no reflection from the back of the driver, and a flattened impedance.

dave
Old 8th January 2011, 10:00 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

What is your opinion of silver flute and hivi drivers
Old 9th January 2011, 01:14 AM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I've not a lot of experience with the HiVi -- i do have 8 of their tweeters sitting here for a project.

I like the SilverFlute midbass. I've a whack of the 5 1/4" i've yet to play with. Eventually i'll try the larger ones.

dave

dave
Old 13th January 2011, 03:55 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Could the Tysen application be designed simlar to the ariel to take advantage of TL and MLTL characteristics.
Old 13th January 2011, 05:04 PM   #37
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Tysen is a specific speaker, but a FAST can be made with any FR as a mid/tweeter, and any bass driver that will reach up beyond where you want to XO it. The style of box(es) you use is wide open.

dave
Old 13th January 2011, 05:29 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

I came across a thread the other day where you spoke of the range of the male human voice going down as far as 100Hz. Is it wise to try to cross above or below this. Will extending the Alpair this low affect its ability to handle mids and highs.
Old 13th January 2011, 07:03 PM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Male voice can reach down to 80 Hz.

If your mid-tweeter can handle the dynamics & upper bass "punch" required, going to 60-80 Hz would be a goal if male voices were the consideration. One has to compromise between max levels, dynamics, low XO point.

With the A7s in sTysen i think 100-200 hz is going to work.

Toole's work on bass in rooms would have mains 80Hz up, multiple mono woofers under that.

I am sure people will be, or already are using Alpair 10/12 like that. Lots of other candidates too.

dave
Old 13th January 2011, 08:57 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

While we have discussed the A7 to this point, it would seem that the A10 is better suited for low XO. Do you agree with this? Would double A7's accomplish similar results? In your original design, you have a side firing woofer placed high up and just down from the Mid/tweeter to help with phase alignment issues. In my personal situation, i will have furniture(Ent.C) to the inside of the speaker and on the outside as well(open design bookshelf). Will it be better to have forward facing woofer to help eliminate room interaction. Firing into 4pi space XO low, is this as important. It seems I remember that room interaction/gain is important down low.

Hide this!Advertise here!