• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

CHR70x example projects (lots of pictures, not much text)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm not sure if Dave has posted the drawings for the Alpair7 dMar-Ken7a Centre, or if it's part of a subscription plan set.(my copy is dated Mar 1/2011, so it could be obsolete anyway) The format is the same as for the CHR, but the dimensions are different - so I wouldn't start making sawdust 'til you confirm that.

I don'y know if i have posted an A7.3 centre yet (one would need to check thru the FH3 thread). It is part of the program to have a centre to go with A7.3 Frugel-Horn Mk3s so if i haven't it will be a free for non-commercial use plan. There are more mutations (including custom ones to order) in the paid planset.

dave

I don'y know if i have posted an A7.3 centre yet (one would need to check thru the FH3 thread). It is part of the program to have a centre to go with A7.3 Frugel-Horn Mk3s so if i haven't it will be a free for non-commercial use plan. There are more mutations (including custom ones to order) in the paid planset.

dave

FWIW, the plan for centre for Alpair7 ( ie. not G3) that I built is attached

I don't have the most recent plan set at hand but would imagine the revisions for 7.3 to be relatively minor details regarding the slots.

The significant factor is the overall increase in dimensions vs those for the CHR70 - particularly the height which was left off the drawing but I've penciled on my as-built drawing as 152mm internal ( i.e. 12mm taller)

even if you don't tightly nest the holey brace to magnet, it's definitely worth the effort for coupling of the 3 long panels, and the ends could certainly be thicker and profiled with chamfer or round-over

http://p10hifi.net/FAL/downloads/dMarKen7-centreA-070311.pdf

Last edited:
Alpair 7 or CHR70

Hello,

I made an amplifier with LM1875 (bridged - 50Wrms stereo) and a separate tube preamplifier. I think they are done pretty good. Now I am looking for drivers to make a good HiFi system.

Somehow I landed on fullrangers, especially those from Markaudio.

Now I could not decide between Alpair 7.3 an CHR 70v3. Could someone please tell me what exactly would I benefit from the alpair 7.3 over the CHR's? I europe alpair's cost 100€ more. I have read a lot on this dilemma, but nothing have satisfied me so far.

Is there a significant difference in sound reproduction?

I listen to all kind of music, pop, rock, classical, blues... and..sometimes even house music in on. I have a room of 20m^2 and I mostly play music on moderate volumes.

Best regards from Slovenia. :)

In short, I'd say that regardless of differences might be seen in whatever measurements you care to look at, the Alpairs deliver a large degree of several subjective qualities for which I'm not sure metrics have been agreed upon. "Finesse" , subtlety and articulation of low level detail (microdynamics) and a greater sense of depth /spaciousness of sound stage would be the buzzwords at the top of my list to describe the differences.

Hello,

I have chosen the Alpair 7 gen 3 and they really satisfy my needs. The cabinets I made are Slim Classic GR dMar-Ken7.3 2v02, rear ported, made of solid oak wood.
Boards are glued together from smaller peaces of wood and the wood itself is about 30 years old. So I suppose there shouldn't be any risk of cracking.

Cabinets are not yet varnished. However, I am considering damping at the moment. I have some 25mm sonofil as described in construction plan, but what else do you recommend?

Do I have to use Bondum 800 or even Bitumex due to solid wood characteristics?

I think Dave's plans for the dMarKen would specify lining all internal panels with 1/2" Ultratouch denim felt "or equivalent", and perhaps adjusting with a minor amount of loose dacron fibre fill after driver's suspension fully broken in - i.e minimum of 200 hrs.

Bernie Foucher has built numerous pairs of all sizes of enclosures with solid wood, following this same practice.

I personally avoid mass loading or "viscous damping" of cabinet walls - but that is certainly an area of animated discussion, so don't be surprised to find very strong opinions voiced in all directions.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
avoid mass loading or "viscous damping" of cabinet walls

Adding mass without increasing stiffness, and lowers panel Q, bith taking the box quality backwards,''They also decrease the internal volume which would require a change in tuning.

So avoid it.

25mm sonofil can be considered as an approx substitute for 12mm ultratouch felt.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.