CHR70x example projects (lots of pictures, not much text) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 8th September 2011, 08:26 PM   #11
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Half Towers with CHR-70.2 - a decent speaker for tight spaces (<5" depth) and listening at moderate SPLs. Easy to build, and a good choice for smaller rooms or as HT fronts. CHR-70.2 bass is surprising, and very clear mid and top. I am playing this with a T-amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Half Towers 01.jpg (113.1 KB, 850 views)
Old 8th September 2011, 08:51 PM   #12
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Good looking job, Zia!
I agree that the chr-70's bass output came as a surprise to me, though I've not heard 'em in your particular cabs.
Best,
don
Old 8th September 2011, 08:57 PM   #13
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Don,

Thank you for the kind words. I have the CHR-Kens (as you have) and in my experience the half Towers go slightly lower and have a bit more grunt. CHR-Kens disappear better, and probably have slightly better finesse in bass.

-Zia
Old 11th February 2012, 05:46 PM   #14
plund is offline plund  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave, In Skeeter's "Super Pensil 12" thread, you have indicated you are working on drawings for dedicated center speaker use. I am interested in that symmetrical design and am wondering if you have a guesstimate of when your plans might be available for CHR70. Then, what will be purchase price? Thanks, Pete
Old 17th February 2012, 07:36 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plund View Post
Dave, In Skeeter's "Super Pensil 12" thread, you have indicated you are working on drawings for dedicated center speaker use. I am interested in that symmetrical design and am wondering if you have a guesstimate of when your plans might be available for CHR70. Then, what will be purchase price? Thanks, Pete
Pete,

Sorry i didn't catch your post sooner.

It wouldn't take long to get a CHR centre together.

As part of the effort to have a centre channel for all the major Frugel-Horn MK3 drivers thus will be released for free as part of the FH Mk3 planset.

dave
Old 17th February 2012, 08:03 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
It wouldn't take long to get a CHR centre together.
Here you go

Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

dave
Old 17th February 2012, 05:31 PM   #17
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

Note drawn for 15mm (nominal 5/8") material - as always if using material of different thickness, retain internal dimensions, particularly those of slot ports / internal aperture, and be sure to chamfer/relieve rear side of driver cutout - preferably before assembly.
Old 22nd February 2012, 03:56 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave for the CHR drawing and Chris for the CHR build tip! I will slooooowwwly get the FH3 and Center together. Pete
Old 5th April 2012, 05:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Dave or Chris,
Question regarding Center speaker...You provided nice drawings for building a center using the CHR70 however, my desire to pinch pennies lost out to my desire to upgrade so I did purchase the A7.3. Are the center dimensions you provided in this thread the same for the A7.3?

Pete
Old 5th April 2012, 06:11 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plund View Post
Dave or Chris,
Question regarding Center speaker...You provided nice drawings for building a center using the CHR70 however, my desire to pinch pennies lost out to my desire to upgrade so I did purchase the A7.3. Are the center dimensions you provided in this thread the same for the A7.3?

Pete

First of all, the CHRs are very nice drivers, but you won't regret the upgrade

Secondly, the 7.3 driver is larger diameter, particularly if you use the extra ring, and the machining will get a little tight if you want to rebate for flush mount and allow for grilles. ( I know, a bit of a hobby horse of mine, but high on the list of my WAF is that all speakers must have grille covers)

I'm not sure if Dave has posted the drawings for the Alpair7 dMar-Ken7a Centre, or if it's part of a subscription plan set.(my copy is dated Mar 1/2011, so it could be obsolete anyway) The format is the same as for the CHR, but the dimensions are different - so I wouldn't start making sawdust 'til you confirm that.

Hide this!Advertise here!