• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Discontinued Fostex, Mark Audio, Other, B-Stock & Left Overs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Neo-fone Pair

SOLD

1 pair of DIY Hifi Supply Neo-fone wide range drivers.

These were cracked out of their boxes, spent some time on the break-in bench, got auditioned in an open baffle at VI diyFEST 2 or 3 years ago, and have been sitting since.

Not quite new condition, they have been soldered and mounted with screws to a baffle. $60/pr

Here is the data and plan set that i did up for Brian.

Matching data attached. Critical efficiency is very close.

dave

Attachments

• Neo-fone-data.gif
    Neo-fone-data.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 518
ping dave

I have made new cabs for my Dynaco a25 woofers only to find that one
is bad. Have you another? I used tweeters from Radioshack/Realistic
MC-500 only to find that one of them was bad. Incredible how they sounded even with 2 bad drivers. Would you have a replacement,
or some vintage alnicos of the right efficiency (86 db?)? maybe fostex fe83 or 87? I would like to use 1st order highpass without resistors or lpads.

thanks david sundby sundbyd2@gmail.com 970-223-3908

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have made new cabs for my Dynaco a25 woofers only to find that one
is bad. Have you another?

No i don't. Barry might have one,but i haven't seen him formonths.

I used tweeters from Radioshack/Realistic
MC-500 only to find that one of them was bad. Incredible how they sounded even with 2 bad drivers. Would you have a replacement,
or some vintage alnicos of the right efficiency (86 db?)?

What does that tweeter look like?

maybe fostex fe83 or 87? I would like to use 1st order highpass without resistors or lpads.

You'd be fundemently changing the nature of the speaker, do it right you'd likely be making things even better.

Given you are in the US, i'd say grab a pait of FF85wk, and cut 2 pieces of 4" PVC pipe that are the exact inside depth of the speaker, wedge & glue them behind the tweeter hole and go from there.

dave

Hi Dave,

Do you still have the Neofone pair for sale? I would use them as fullrange "test speakers" in rather small enclosures (10-13 litres) with small tube amps (3 watts or more). Hence, they should be easy to drive, have both some bass and resolution capabilities, but most of all they should convey music. Max sound pressure is not important.

Are there any other drivers that you rather would recommend for my application, still below USD 100 a pair?

Finally, a brief description of Neofone performance in OB would be appreciated.

Thanks!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OleBull.

Yes, i still have them.

It ws a long timeago we used them OB, they were fine, like almost 100% of other FRs they would need helper woofer on the bottom. They were also designed to have a cap coupled super-tweeter on the top, althou i found they weren't missing much. The bat-eared might disagree with me.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.