Mar-Ken10^2, double the love - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 27th September 2010, 11:03 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No need to be shy linking to other sites. Here is the link Alan sent me Building a Paul Hynes SE1 Power Amplifier

If you are going to get another pair of A10, do it quick, the A10.2 is more efficient, slightly different TSP, better, and won't match match up all that well.

dave
Old 28th September 2010, 07:12 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Dave,

In that case the Alpair10s can stay where they are in the Jaguars, it will have to be 2 pairs of the new 10.2s - it is only money!

Alan
Old 28th September 2010, 11:02 PM   #13
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Colin, one of our beta buiders in the UK has built the 1st set of twin Alpair10 Mar-Ken10^2. Here are his comments:

Colin worked from the single driver Mar-Ken10 plans with guidlines from me via email.

Click the image to open in full size.

I have yet to draw up the plans. If anyone wants to pursue these, contact me about helping beta a full set of plans.

The same treatment has already been done for the EL70, and can follow for all the MA drivers.

dave
Dave,
Are plans available for this configuration with the CHR-70s?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 29th September 2010, 12:17 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikje View Post
Dave,
Are plans available for this configuration with the CHR-70s?
I just did the 1st pass last nite. Mail me.

dave
Old 2nd November 2010, 03:40 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

What is the benfit to the dual a10's? In mtm speakers it is intended to help with bass extension. Is that the purpose of this design?
Old 2nd November 2010, 04:25 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
What is the benfit to the dual a10's? In mtm speakers it is intended to help with bass extension. Is that the purpose of this design?
Higher efficiency, less doppler distortion, greater dynamics, more impact, play louder.

dave
Old 2nd November 2010, 09:45 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I may have missed it, but how are the speakers wired?
Old 3rd November 2010, 06:23 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Typically one would wire them in series, but if you have a 2 ohm capable amp, parallel is fine. Or give each speaker its own amp.

dave
Old 4th November 2010, 09:03 AM   #19
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I may have missed it, but how are the speakers wired?
Originally I had these drivers wired in series to give an easier load as mentioned above by DaveD.

However, after some experimentation they are now wired in parallel to give a nominal 3-ohm load. This gives all round improvements as if the speakers are on steroids.

I use SE 300b monoblocs (around 7W) and a pair of 35W SE GM70 amps with these speakers. Both these amps cope very easily with that load. However the increased headroom the GM70 amps gives wins the day for me regards there impact on the sound presentation. I have also tried a couple 20W(ish) SS amps (a Rotel and a NAD) and both coped easily the load.

The difference in sound from series wired to parallel wired drivers in these speakers is quite marked and by far better wired parallel, if your amp can cope.

Last edited by Toppsy; 4th November 2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 15th November 2010, 11:31 PM   #20
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

These look really nice, the black 'plinth' at the base is a nice touch. I think it would still look great if you added another pair of drivers to each box
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!