It's not easy being green (apologies to Kermit) - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Planet 10 hifi

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 22nd March 2011, 08:54 PM   #41
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Here is one of the last sets of FE127eN. These have EnABL2. You will note that they have the same spot colour as the FE126eN^2 above except that the mid-cone ring is also in colour. The 126 is the standard colour scheme, i have given all of the FE127 & old FE126 the coloured mid ring so as be able to more easily distinguish them in the filed. Coloured mid-rings on the new FE126eN^2 will appear only in custom colour drivers (which could be Natural w Brown as in the 127s below)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 27th March 2011, 04:08 PM   #42
trigger is offline trigger  United States
diyAudio Member

good stuff dave! if you ever wanted some fine art work on those i would gladly do it for free, from nature, to industrial, to pin-up girls.....just tossin that out there....i understand you have artistically and physically improved the drivers and its just amazing!
Old 28th March 2011, 08:24 AM   #43
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have a couple even more daring ones in the works for auction to the benefit of the forum... the sonic requirements of the mods limit the possibilities somewhat, one of the 2 pair i will do where i haven't before. And for the other, i'm on my 2nd try, i tried a coupl things that would extend my reach and found some things that wouldn't work.

I saw your girl on the speaker... if that kind of thing could be done without compromise it would be cool.

dave
Old 28th March 2011, 04:04 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

prismacolor has a very vibrant light wax pencil, simple ink outlines look sweet for pinups as well.
a good method of transferring fine detailed drawings can made through image projections and or stencils or trace paper.
i see there could be a big market for artistically designed inducers, you have the means dave so keep it up!
personally i want my tube amp schematic printed on a set of cones, maybe i shall..? it will be long time before i can purchase any new speakers, though i found a blank white cone for re-conning , just need the right 15'' baskets now.

Last edited by trigger; 28th March 2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 28th March 2011, 07:56 PM   #45
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Wax wouldn't work, as the functional coatings are water based and the 1st one needs to bind the surface of the cone. At this point i am limited to the PVA (mod-podge) for the initial coat typically coloured with food colour (and limited to amounts of colour that bring the PVA to the same consistancy as using water to thin it). It is also necessary to keep the coating consistent over the whole cone.

dave
Old 28th March 2011, 09:00 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

would using the food coloring as a water-color work, or a thin ink, or would the coating cause the coloring to bleed or warp?
Old 28th March 2011, 09:07 PM   #47
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

That was the failed experiment... causes the cone to warp. At least in any area covering manner.

dave
Old 5th April 2011, 06:04 AM   #48
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

CHR70eN

dave
Old 5th April 2011, 09:54 AM   #49
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

And some CHR70.2eN (2nd generation)