• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

It's not easy being green (apologies to Kermit)

The vendor is Mark Hannah Surplus Electronics (since 1995)

And what I got is described as "Pair of 8"/Full Range Speakers.'
Their Part # 5718638490

This may also be in a DIY audio search though it goes back to my
order of 2004.

They were as it said sold in sets of two though I doubt they were a pair
of anything for $9.95. The shipping at $12.00 was more than the purchase.

I haven't demounted the old guy yet so whatever it might say on the driver
I'll get soon.

I've played with them quite a bit in some builds and tried adding phase plugs etc. more for the task of actually doing thetask of mounting to the magnet and things that were in discussion back then in DIY Audio.

Since then I'm using much smaller one- room, motherboard sound driven
speaks with a Parts Express Dayton DTA-1. It's about as minimal as one can get.

The markings on the magnet are : PO-20103A
8 ohm KR
Y1I286

the best I can make out. Ones and "I"'s are in different type from
my reading it.

It's like new. A bit of dust on the cone though even though I had
grilles on. Grille was not tight to the face and done with magnets.

The cardboard gasket mounted on the front means ( I think ) that
it was rear mounted and flush to the face for the intended installation.

Visually this is really close and the price is in that bottom range:

RADIO SHACK 8” FULL RANGE SPEAKER NOS VTG RARE 15W 8 OHM 40-1272 D & BOX | eBay

It's got the cardboard front gasket, whizzer and is 8". The magnet size looks
identical. I hardly know if that is of any use.

I feel like Leonard McCoy on Star Trek: "Sometimes I think I can cure a rainy day." Never thought anything would turn up. :-/

Who was it on here used to quote Gene Hunt lines from "Life On Mars"? I was thinking about that again.

Just a followup mostly on materials that I used which may produce bad results.

My technique and pens are very limited so my dots got a little large and not well- positioned on that small cone and dust cap. I've decided to say it looks like glow- in- the- dark measles.

My remark on material is that using the Micro Gloss over the base of
white glue (diluted) and glo juice dots had the odd effect of lifting some of
the dots. I was using a narrow pad applicator and somehow the tip was acting like little finger nails picking up a couple of dots. At that point I had a coating on so I quit.

The dust cap looked like a measled clown's nose so I removed that and added a phase plug I had made for another project.

My own poor technique is responsible for any errors. But if there are other readers on this, they may want to know about the dots lifting problem. It could have been inadequate bonding between the various products used.
Dry time was good. So it had to be some other problem.

I'm sure you're all ears on this. :-/

One thing I learned is this speak does not like phase plugs. I had one made as you showed with the screws to attach to the magnet. I put that in and the sound went tinny. I didn't know what was wrong at first: maybe some liquid down in the works. Then I took the plug out and CHR was back to normal at least.

I tried the plug again after removing the screws with a couple different phase plugs I had made years ago. Same result. So I'm just leaving it bare and with a grille covering.

Nothing beats the old FE127E with or without EnABL. I have one of each. That earlier EnABL job turned out decent.

cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dayton PS220eN. A nice driver.

Dayon-PS220eN.jpg

dave