• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

It's not easy being green (apologies to Kermit)

Thanks for answering. Products long ago dried up etc are not available
for me to go to the Hobby Lobby. We are staying at home-- at least the sensible ones.

I'd be twiddling with what I have here: some brushed on spray starch maybe?

My old treated Fostex FE127 looks nicely antiqued with the special varnish
used -- can't think of the name. The product sold to preserve oil paintings
sold in tiny jars. That was part of the method years ago when I did it.

Idle hands and all that during sequester. I may not be able to do what you suggest. I remember screwing up a trifoil pattern too. ;-)

The Gen I or Gen II may be in my purchase records. I'll have a look.

It could be a box problem as well. I've just used what's here for a single
extension speaker in case one of my PCs goes out.

It brings up another question though. I recall very thin wire produces resistance. The wire run on this is pretty long. Can that cause tininess or should I look elsewhere? Nothing beats the ol' Fostex.

Hello Jeff,

Yes Damar was what I had for the Fostex. I think all I have here is some acrylic. Found it, a little hobby jar of Deco Art (tm) polyurethane Satin Varnish to play with. Indeed, I will want to stop well before any ENAbl dots.

It may be the little speak in just not up to much. I got it as a sample buy
when DIY Audio was talking about it.

And the basket treatment from Dave's pics is at least a newer wrinkle from
the time I was active here in Full Range. This what you are calling the
generic mods now-- good for anything. I have some homemade phase plugs too. :)

Not sure where I left off on this. But I found my penset and some Glo Juice.

Glo-It - DecoArt

Yes, that is what I have for this treatment. I'm just practicing my pen yet. I will see if it glows decent. I got the Glo Juice just for some night light outlets. It never showed up very well but it's here and I may try it.

That pattern for the Gen 2 looks like the ticket. You mentioned jigs in the past to stay on track. Anything for these or just free hand?

You can say whether this is practical or not keeping in mind I'll be using what I have if I get right down to it. No way I could get Damar anyway since it would not go through the mail.

I'll be fiddling with the box a bit too. Staying at home and inside.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I did a set of FF85wKeN with similar.

glow-in-the-dark-FF85wKeN.jpg

dave

Great, I love it. But I'll be doing some practice to see if the Glo Juice shows up
as well as yours. Plus I do not have black cones on the Gen 2's. But at least I have confirmation from you on the product.

I'll see what progress I can make. Please refresh me on the diagram
of rings for the Gen 2. Or if none I'll see if I can visually count. This will all take time. I will not have it done for a while.

Ok I see what you're getting at. Subdued in daylight. I don't think my experiments will go as well as an experienced painter such as yourself. Anyway it'll be fun to try again at some point.

So the plan, according to EnABL theory is Varnish First, Pattern and then
Micro Gloss. Those are all I have to use. Plus the tools I have here.

So is Modpodge more of a glue than a varnish? I had some once. I'm trying to remember what is in the white stuff.

Back to the Damar, if I used Damar on a Fostex banana paper cone (which is what was sold in those days) and thought it was a good effect, then
how about the Gen 2? I'm will to listen and appreciate the advice before
doing anything.

And I'll review the full link on tweaks. Thanks for adding it back in a long thread.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ModPodge is a PVA so similar to white glue. It remains more flexible which is why i use it instead of white glue. I get it from Micheals so even if you do not have a local one, it can be ordered on-line. I suggest the basic stuff (orange & yellow bottle IIRC), gloss or semi-gloss and the smallest amount you can get will go along way (unless you start using it to turn a puzzle into a framable picture).

I tried damar, but it is far to easy to kill a driver as it stiffens things, i did use it for the FE126/7e trifoil to reduce some of the peakiness, love the smell, stil have lots. If one can figure out where it will be useful the change in stiffness can be useful, but figuring out where is difficult, The trick-foil was based on Mark McKenzies (spelling?) work. He didn’t think it would be enuff but actual measure sshowed that it was helpful.

dave

I'm playing with some pretty crude stuff-- "Stone knives and bearskins" as Spock said. White glue I can maybe get from the food store where I'm doing
some ordering and pickup. They have a section of stationary supplies. We have Michaels and all the biggies.

The old enclosure I've used over and over and in this Gen2 is honking even with the small speaker. It's as if I could put a mattrees in there to stuff it. So there's back end problems as well as experimenting with the cone. Thanks for answering.

I still have to read the tweak thread....

onward

I have my white glue. Smallest quantity I could get. What I want to do is try it out on a mate of an 8" I did a version of the EnABL to many years ago. I did the larger one (rather than my FE127e) so I could see what I was doing.

" Puzzlecoating paper cones
ductsealing baskets
stiffing the cabinet
retrofitting decent speaker wire "

On these tweaks, the page I linked to at T-line stops at ductsealing.
Is there a link at T-Line to the full routine? I was using a link in email.
Perhaps that is the reason but I saw no "page two" to go to.

Eventually I will thin out some of the white glue and give it a whirl. The brand of the 8" is very obscure. I discussed them with one of the members-- is it Jim Griffin (?) -- but the markings are very poor. They have whizzer cones. This is an in home project to keep engaged during the bad time. At 72, like they say in this forum, my hearing is gone anyway for delicate appraisal. But with the 8 inchers I may be able to detect a difference from the one made way back when.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
On these tweaks, the page I linked to at T-line stops at ductsealing.

I left those 2 subjects for elsewhere. Speaker wire is very system dependent, and bracin gis as well (we have also learned a lot more about effective bracing since i wrote that as well.

Is there a link at T-Line to the full routine? I was using a link in email.
Perhaps that is the reason but I saw no "page two" to go to.

The brand of the 8" is very obscure.

Got a picture?

dave

Strangely enough I was going through my purchase records of things and I still have that but, how to say, I don't have a lot of the usual technology that
others have.

I do know, or found out at the time that these were offered in pairs as remainders from installation in to Roland pianos. I can't recall how I learned
about them at all. It had to be an Ebay or some such.

I'll dig up the record. May be there's a number on it-- and I'll be unmounting at least one and there may be a model number on the magnet. This reinventing the wheel because it was in DIY discussion that we did what we could at the time. Maybe a search using Roland piano?