• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

fonken-style box nomenclature... what is with those names?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fonken is a code word for Fostex + Onken, as far as I know, or rather for some Feastrex + Onken.
Onken is the Japanese designer who used this concept a lot. His concept was popularized in the French magazine L'Audiophile, by the famous mr Jean Hiraga.

You can find how to calculate the vented box for ant LS, in this ONKEN CALCULATOR, by Cyr-Marc Debien.
It will give the vent length and width plus depth.
You enter the LS data.
Fine tuning is done with inserting some material in the vent (like felt).
easy isn't it?
albert

lenconian:
These: IMG_1394.jpg are using MA ChR-70's.
Contact Dave @ planet_10 hifi
don

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Fonken is a code word for Fostex + Onken

The Fonkens only borrow the configuration of the side slots from the Onken. The tuning is quite different.

lenconian, the box you want is the CHR-Ken (pronounced the same as the sea monster). The plans are not free (althou they come as part of a purchase of P10 drivers), you have mail with the details.

Attached is a snap-shot the title page of the current plan-set to give an idea of how comprehensive the document is.

dave

Attachments

• dMar-Ken-title070311.gif
    dMar-Ken-title070311.gif
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,308
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There are beta programs going on all the time for new boxes for new drivers particularily the ones we haven't built.

At the moment that would include the (as yet skimpy) Alpair 6.2 set and the uFonken88 (adapted uFonken for Fountek FR88ex). There will also likely be betas for the new Fostex FFxx5WK -- still haven't seen full data for these even thou i expect i may have some in hand as early as end next week.

dave

Cool, out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the piece of wood behind the driver? I was assuming when there's a lot of bass, that the driver would want to move back and forth.

it might tend to, but the only part of the driver you want to move is the drive train & cone/diaphram

as to the enclosure, there are lottsa schools of thought on construction materials & bracing schema - to put it simply, some of the tenets of our general architecture are: high quality multi-ply plywood ( i.e. Baltic Birch, Apple Ply, Finnish Birch etc); strategic bracing (including of driver to enclosure); and if you carefully analyze drawings, aspect ratio of the 3 dimensions

that piece of wood behind the driver is part of the bracing scheme

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.