• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

milliSize me...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
After the success of the Fonken we wanted to see how small a box we could fit the FE127eN into and still get decent performance. Some modeling and 3 prototypes later we ended up with the mFonken (milliFonken)

quartet-mFonken.jpg

This box is about the size of a BBC LS3/5A (rotated so the driver is mounted on the side)... small enuff to be used as a high-end computer speaker yet big enuff to reach down below 80 Hz so they can be used in a Floyd Toole style satellite, multiple subwoofer system. Very high WAF. Even cute :)

So when we got our hands on the smaller Mark Audio drivers (and the CSS EL70 made by Mark Audio) we had to see if we could fit them into this convienient form factor. Prototypes of all 3 debuted at the 5th annual Vancouver Island diyFEST.

In preparation for production of milliSize flat-paks, all these boxes have been tweaked to exactly the same size, and this is their official release along with an updated mFonken.

Here are milliSize boxes for the FE127eN, EL70eN, CHR-70eN, and Alpair6eN (you can use stock drivers, but we feel our treated versions of these drivers make them really special)

milliSize-3Dx.gif

These are mFonken 1v1.1, mMar-Kel70, mMarS70, mMar-Ken6 (more on the "rationale" behind the names later in another thread)

As well as these 4, i have just sent plans for a milli-sized µFonken^2 (2 FF85KeN) to be prototyped, and we expect that the new Mark Audio Alpair7 will fit into a milli.

Enjoy.

dave

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Sweet!! - I've been looking for a nice set of computer speakers and these look as if they will be fun to do. Plus I still have some EnABL stuff around to use up.

Very nice job Dave - and all of the rest of the usual suspects such as Scott and Chris and Geek etc. :spin:

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'll see if i can get someone else to give a review... they all sound good, amplifiers, room, taste all play a big role. My personal favorite is still the mFonken (with a suitable tube amp), but the A6 (mMar-Ken6) got swept away before i had a chance to treat the drivers, if they respond as well as the other Mark Audios they could get right up there. If you have a typical SS HT amp i'd give the edge to the EL70 or the CHR-70.

dave

I'll see if i can get someone else to give a review... they all sound good, amplifiers, room, taste all play a big role. My personal favorite is still the mFonken (with a suitable tube amp), but the A6 (mMar-Ken6) got swept away before i had a chance to treat the drivers, if they respond as well as the other Mark Audios they could get right up there. If you have a typical SS HT amp i'd give the edge to the EL70 or the CHR-70.

dave

While I had a bit more of chance to hear the milli-size series that Dave, it was a condensed session with a lot of swaps. I'm certainly very familiar with the FE127eN (perhaps too much so?) making it hard to get a firm grip on my take on the Mark Audio models.

Caveat: all drivers in this comparison session had received the EnABL treatment.

Having said that, my general impressions would be that the Mark Audio metal coned drivers (A5, A6 & CHR70) are smoother throughout the upper mid-bass to well past the upper midrange and more extended and "weighty" at the lower end of their range than the Fostex FE127E.

Another listener in one of the sessions preferred the tonal balance of CHR70 to the paper coned EL70, particularly in the upper midrange, while my impression was the opposite. Of Mark's drivers I've heard to date, the EL70 suits my taste for balance of sensitivity, dynamics, projection of soundstage and overall tonality.

As is probably no surprise to anyone who has heard the Fostex drivers, the the presentation of the FE127E tends to be more forward than the Mark Audio, which may well be an issue for some listeners. As well the Fostex tend to be more "revealing / critical"? of the associated components - this is most particularly true of the FExx6 series drivers, but still to a lesser degree the FE127E as well.

If cornered to answer the question as to which of the group I would chose for a single system, unassisted by powered woofer(s), I'd have to say the FE127E, driven by a 10w or so PP triode EL84 or 3w 2A3 SET. But Mr Fenlon is not standing still, so we're looking forward to what's next.

Millisize sure doesn't mean milli sound.

When I arrived early for the festival, Dave hooked up a pair of these outside where we were working and I was impressed not only by the sound quality, but quantity.... these aren't your typical multimedia speakers ;)

Small boxes will definately bring out the best or worst a driver has to offer. These Milli's seem a lot more forgiving in that regard and enhance the strengths... the Fostex for example had beautiful mods and highs, the EL's showed their lower mid strength and even had some bass for an enclosure this size.

:2c:

Cheers!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I meant to post an example of an EnABLed speaker.

JJ-FE126eN-NatwGrey-comp.jpg

WAF is a very variable factor. Around here i am usually more critical of cosmetics, once the crowd gets too large, particulariliy as we approach a holiday with peole comng over, pressure to reduce quantity does increase. The only speakers she doesn't like are the tall Woden ones -- and that because it blocks the view of the TV from the kitchen

dave

Attachments

• dld-room-270113.jpg
    dld-room-270113.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 651
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.