HDPE diaphragm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks SY.

I´ll try it soon, I hope.

I´ll use some form of diaphragm damping in form of star shaped spacers made of adhesive foam tape, similar to that manger use for its diaphragms.

It could help to get rid off this, if this sound is caused by some form of resonance, because of lower internal damping of HDPE IMHO.

Probably not your best bet...

PE does not have the strength nor stretch/memory qualities of "C' grade Mylar. If you can get some cross linked HDPE that would help some. Other wise as Sy says you can try it and it will work. That said the effort envolved is such that I don't know why you feel you need to try and reinvent the wheel . Using 3-6 micron tensilized polyester film is where you want to be and it's not all that expensive to buy in small quantities. Low mass high strength thin film are the order of the day with ESL's.

HDPE would be a poor material selection for an ESL membrane because:

1. Poor mechanical properties
2. Creep/relaxation
3. Non-linear stress-strain relationship
4. Try heatshrink and you'll get a heat-sag :) (I use mechanical tensioning)
5. Glueing/coating problems

HDPE is good for pond lining, geotextiles, geofabric etc. but not for ESL membrane.

Better purchase some mylar from Martin or Rob or ask Mark nicely for some Lumilar (if memory serves well).

Regards,

Zvon said:
HDPE would be a poor material selection for an ESL membrane because:

1. Poor mechanical properties
2. Creep/relaxation
3. Non-linear stress-strain relationship
4. Try heatshrink and you'll get a heat-sag :) (I use mechanical tensioning)
5. Glueing/coating problems

HDPE is good for pond lining, geotextiles, geofabric etc. but not for ESL membrane.

Better purchase some mylar from Martin or Rob or ask Mark nicely for some Lumilar (if memory serves well).

Regards,

Great, thats what I wanted to hear, thanks.

yesterday i read some materials about technical properties and i realized some things that youve mentioned, hdpe has worser length variations with temperature (about 2 times bigger) and worser modulus of elasticity, but youve wrote it before than i do
;)

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.