Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2008, 09:17 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

Finely divided silver is a catalyst for the recombination of ozone to oxygen.

If you can pass the exhaust over an appropriate catalytic surface, the ozone level should be much lower. If there is significant ozone content, the catalyst will heat up.
Old 20th February 2008, 08:58 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

There is perhaps the possibility of using active carbon, but the exhaust must then also removed and blown through,
other companies have the electrode in a quartz part and then claim that it would no longer smell, which I do not believe.
Thus, the German company Lantsche which produces the Corona. The claim that their cell quartz the Ozone completely destroyed.
Lantsche

But this explanation can be found only in the German part of the page
Then the exhaust converted into other compounds, who can guarantee that not even smell or toxic?
Like a catalyst in the car, as is also still poison and stench out.
And louder is not guaranteed

Regards,
George
Old 20th February 2008, 09:43 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

So I suppose Low powered SET would be out of the picture to drive the plasma tweeter sections. How inefficient are they?

Regards;
BN
Old 20th February 2008, 10:07 AM   #104
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

line level will drive one, remember the device is an Amplifier and a radio transmitter in one. Standard dB/W/m efficiency numbers are meaningless here.

To do a comparison against a conventional tweeter you would measure the power consumption of the amplifier driving the tweeter.
That would be different depending on the efficiency of the tweeter, the class of the amplifier and so on.

the one in the pictures I posted was drawing about 125mA from a 700Vdc power supply.
the input signal to the modulator was 200mW, we were measuring somewhere between 93 and 98 dB(A) at 1m but the meter was being affected by the radio radiation so I don't trust it.
It was loud enough to be uncomfortable to be near. We were outside and a 10kHz tone could be heard inside the house over the air conditioner noise in the kitchen behind a brick wall, several internal walls and closed doors.

We were driving it with a 200mW MP3 player. It was unshielded and we were pumping out about 100 watts of radio energy, we didn't want to risk any valuable equipment on the test setup. It has already damaged a power supply on a scanner.
You could use the output of your SET and reduce the gain of the modulator.
Old 20th February 2008, 10:52 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by George Green
There is perhaps the possibility of using active carbon, but the exhaust must then also removed and blown through,
other companies have the electrode in a quartz part and then claim that it would no longer smell, which I do not believe.
Thus, the German company Lantsche which produces the Corona. The claim that their cell quartz the Ozone completely destroyed.
Lantsche

But this explanation can be found only in the German part of the page
Then the exhaust converted into other compounds, who can guarantee that not even smell or toxic?
Like a catalyst in the car, as is also still poison and stench out.
And louder is not guaranteed

Regards,
George
I think ozone will oxidise the carbon to CO2 (or maybe CO), so a carbon catalyst will wear out quite fast.

Silver black is the standard way of removing ozone; the byproduct is pure oxygen, so there shouldn't be a smell. Silver slowly oxidises, but the oxide (which is itself a metal, although black) is still an effective catalyst, although somewhat less active than the pure metal.
Old 20th February 2008, 12:34 PM   #106
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to lumanauw
Hi, George,

Is this tweeter has the same operating principle with Acapella ion tweeter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ion_beide.jpg (23.1 KB, 762 views)
Old 25th February 2008, 04:56 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Default Ozone removal...

Thanks for the info on potential catalysts - have any of you tried to smell what might be left when the gases have been filtered by e.g. silver black?

It might indicate what actually succeeds in being catalyzed...

Regards,

Jesper
Old 8th March 2008, 08:42 PM   #108
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lumanauw
Hi, George,

Is this tweeter has the same operating principle with Acapella ion tweeter?

yes.

the Acapella is essentially an upgraded Ionovac...

_-_-bear
Old 8th March 2008, 08:51 PM   #109
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

PLEASE PLACE A FULL COVERAGE GROUNDED SCREEN AROUND ANY PLASMA TWEETER!!

This includes the coil and tube... anything that has RF on it.

You need a screen with relatively small holes - metal window screen should work ok.

Otherwise you have a relatively high power transmitter, operating illegally - and potentially interfering with broadcasts and various services!!

A portable shortwave receiver will tell you how you are doing in that department.

_-_-bear
Old 9th March 2008, 05:55 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Hi George, I'm not trying to threadjack or anything, but I'm at my wit's end trying to get my plasma tweeter to work and since your email seems to be disabled I figured I should ask my question here. What I'm trying to do is make essentially the same circuit that everyone does with a screen driven pentode, but then use an 811A linear amplifier to get more power. I have a schematic that is located at this link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1403176...39128/sizes/l/

anyone please feel free to comment on it, whether it is even possible or not to do what I'm trying to do.

Thank you.

Hide this!Advertise here!