Full range planar speaker using neo magnets - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2012, 09:11 AM   #161
diyAudio Member

What kind of dispersion do these designs give such as your new design JAMESBOS?

Would love to make something like this in the future. But have to finish my other 3/5way design.
Old 4th January 2012, 09:14 AM   #162
diyAudio Member

All of those neo's must have cost You a lot.
Old 4th January 2012, 10:35 AM   #163
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarreYuri View Post
That is why I am reducing the magnet count in my new designs using the epsilon diaphragm, reducing the count from 294 to 125 with the same sensitivity, smaller and lighter and more wife friendly. Which is very important in many cases, apart from the lower cost.
Old 4th January 2012, 10:49 AM   #164
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
What kind of dispersion do these designs give such as your new design JAMESBOS?

Would love to make something like this in the future. But have to finish my other 3/5way design.
Not much different from normal IB's,UNDERFLOOR LOADED,AND TRANSMISSION LINE ENCLOSURES which I have in the same room, the sound is more open and the bass is much firmer and harder when compared to the ESL 57 & 63 which I also have and the bass on the QUADS sound soft and boomy in comparison. I will be rebuilding all my old designs, including neos and ferrites to increase the sensitivity reduce the size of the 4' x 2' designs. This will keep me busy as some 20 + designs need rebuilding. Will keep my brain active. This is the new diaphragm layout of the epsilon clone. Actually 4 epsilon types. Will be putting the layout on the 23um mylar tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0092.JPG (678.9 KB, 336 views)

Last edited by JAMESBOS; 4th January 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 4th January 2012, 03:07 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

Wow! That's a lot of magnet you put in there. Using that many, how wide is the gap between your diaphragm and magnets? Do you put your magnets in SNSNSNSN and NSNSNSNS Or SSSSSSSSS and NNNNNNNNNN orientations in one stator?

Wachara C.
Old 4th January 2012, 03:28 PM   #166
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinsettawong View Post
Wow! That's a lot of magnet you put in there. Using that many, how wide is the gap between your diaphragm and magnets? Do you put your magnets in SNSNSNSN and NSNSNSNS Or SSSSSSSSS and NNNNNNNNNN orientations in one stator?

Wachara C.
The magnets are NSNSNS ETC. the gap is 3 mm for the neo magnets as they are a lot stronger, and 2mm for the ferrites. Although I could probably reduce the neo one to 2 mm. Which would mean more rebuilds ,unless I change the gap on the next rebuilds! In the past I did build one about 7' x 2' with nearly 2,000 magnets on the pair, which weren't all that sensitive. I used some plastic stair cover, which was very heavy and it went hard and it disintegrated after a couple of years. Not very good . It was only the alu tape that kept it together. The glue on the tape is very good. I had a pair I built over 20 years ago, which still worked and the tape was firmly fastened, after all that time. On my latest designs the magnet count is down to 250 a pair , which are as sensitive as the larger ones, and a lot lighter and smaller in size.
Old 4th January 2012, 05:07 PM   #167
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the info.....
Henry
So if we look at the Apogees.....the magn..lay out there useing less is to set the SPL to match the mid-tweeter....less magn..less output?
Old 4th January 2012, 11:04 PM   #168
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu View Post
Thanks for all the info.....
Henry
So if we look at the Apogees.....the magn..lay out there useing less is to set the SPL to match the mid-tweeter....less magn..less output?
Not necessarily so, it depends on the layout of the foil as in the epsilon design, if you use more of the magnet area you actually get more output. I wouldn't know about the apogee as I only build full range planars .Which don't need tweeters, or mid range
Old 4th January 2012, 11:36 PM   #169
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes they do but they keep their value and they don't wear out so you don't really lose any money. As they have gone up quite a lot in price since I bought them.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:53 PM   #170
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My latest design 60 x 40 cm only uses 130 50 x 18 x 10 mm ferrite magnets for each speaker. These are a third of the price of neos.

Hide this!Advertise here!