1cmx2cmx3cm N35 magnets for $1.10! Can I use them in a ribbon? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2007, 08:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Default 1cmx2cmx3cm N35 magnets for $1.10! Can I use them in a ribbon?

I've found a place with 10mmx20mmx40mm N35-grade magnets for all of $1.10 each in quantities over 100.

http://www.engconcepts.net/List_Of_Magnet_Bundles.asp

(check out SMM_BNDL_14.)

Could anyone who understands FEMM help me model a magnet array?

I was thinking that two thick (resulting in 20x20x40mm) would work better, but if I can get away with one layer on each side, that would be ideal - I don't need much in the way of SPL, and this driver will have its own amplifier as part of a bi-amped system.

An 80CM ribbon would require 20 magnets per side - 40 magnets if I use only one layer, resulting in $104 for the magnets for two drivers. Not bad at all!

For the ribbon material, I'd like to use some of the alumium-kapton film employed in repairing Carver speakers. While technically not a "true" ribbon, wiring the traces in series will get the impeadance high enough that I can drive it with an amplifier. (I know that a paralelled LM4780 gainclone runs happily at 2 ohms, and I can add an L-pad if necessary - even if half my power is being bled off on the resistors, that's still sixty watts!)

For the construction....I honestly have no idea. I'm a reasonably skilled metalworker, capable of welding, soldering with jewler's solder (it has a melting point only slightly lower than copper in the "hard" version, making it great for attaching copper to copper), and casting small objects out of silver and copper.

I was hoping to make the frame out of aluminum L-brackets, attached together at the ends by aluminum bar, with some sort of cross-braces - I really have no idea.

Any help, please?

Hide this!Advertise here!