Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2007, 01:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Re: TMI ON AMTS BY ESS!

Quote:
Originally posted by matt28sr

I hope this answered your questions. If I can be of any othe help, just let me know.

Matt [/B]
Matt, I'm new to this forum but I see right away that you are the guy I need to talk to about the Heils.

I've got a pair of pristine Heils that came off a set of AMT3's. My intent is to build something along the line of the Kithara, or maybe a "modified" Kithara where the main 10" driver would be mounted at a 45degree angle upward.

My main question to you right now is that I have a choice among several different original ESS crossovers, and I would appreciate your recommendation on which one to pick.
The crossovers I can pick from come from the different following models:
1D
1C
1A Monitor (bi-ampable)
1A

Do one of these crossovers stand out among the rest?
OR, should I forget the ESS crossovers altogether and go with a DIY design?... and if so, which design for what I'm trying to do?

I have some more questions, and I was hoping to PM you but as a newbie, I'm not allowed to contact anyone by PM.

Thanks
Old 17th July 2009, 03:22 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default ESS Elite

So I guess the Elite series is a tweeter only? Or does it encompass any lower frequencys and gets into the 1,200 HZ.
Is there an internal picture of this transducer?
I want to know about the Blue Ox cabinet that ESS made in the 70's. Is it still out there?
I did some field tests with this one and went through alot of diaphrams trying to find an appropiate material that could withstand the power and the rigors of club operation. I used them at The Shire Road Pub in Fair Oaks, Ca.
Paul
Old 17th July 2009, 04:25 AM   #13
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ESS Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by roadiemanchild
I used them at The Shire Road Pub in Fair Oaks, Ca.
Paul
Hey Paul - when I worked at the "old" Shire Road Pub John Button was the sound guy and Karen was his back-up - so when were you there? I still have some photo's from when the place burned down and am still in contact with Mick Martin - it was his band's gear that burned up with the place. I still have "Mom" Sterchi's phone number around here somewhere. BTW - Jerry Sterchi passed away a couple of years ago - heart problems.

John used Altec horns and bass units for the mains powered by Crown DC150's - but we did have some of the small ESS speakers fired up in the back of the place to fill in some dead spots and provide for music when the bands weren't playing - small monitor types that used the AMT3 for tweeters.
Old 21st July 2009, 04:50 PM   #14
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

I hope our Heil expert is still with us after 2 years...

Anyway, I'm plunging in this thread because yesterday i heard the little "aulos" type (oskar heil/precide, not ESS made) to perform wonderfully in the HF.

I just wonder if somebody else has listened to these AMT (or the bigger one "kithara").
Old 5th August 2009, 10:15 PM   #15
RAWDON is offline RAWDON  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default ESS AMT MONITORS

hI ..I PURCHASED A PAIR OF ess amt monitors way back in 1980 ..They are still like new after having the 12inch woofers and passives recond in Dec 2004. The diagprams are the originals and are silver in colour. Recently I did obtain a spare pair but have never had to install them ..They came via Simply Speakers in FLORIDA..

ORIGINAL SILVER MYLAR
(includes new warranty foil, instructions, and replacement putty)

AND WERE $89US last year...

I will never part with these speakers ...

regards
Steve
Wellington
New Zealand
Old 6th August 2009, 08:44 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default heils at Shire Road

I worked with Karen when our band played there. Neilsen Pearson Band
I was the production manager and audio man. We played there several times, I almost married my two almost wives there.
Paul javascript:smilie('')
Old 6th August 2009, 11:59 AM   #17
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Default Re: heils at Shire Road

Quote:
I worked with Karen when our band played there. Neilsen Pearson Band
I was the production manager and audio man. We played there several times, I almost married my two almost wives there.
Paul javascript:smilie('')
Man-O-MAN - the Neilsen Pearson Band!!! My absolute favorite band from the "Pub" days!! I loved it when they would open the set with "Billy Run" http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/d...755-17679.html Great guys - Mark would always have a beer and BS for awhile after setting up for sound checks and I remember you because "Button" would NOT let anyone near "his" PA system unless they knew what the xxxx they were doing. Outside of Karen I think you are the only other person that I saw that ever put their hands on the mixer.

I did marry my 1st wife from there

I'm OT here so I'll shut up. but it's great to hear form an old "Pub" family member.
Old 9th August 2009, 12:44 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default ESS

What frequencies should Heils be crossed over at? I read somewhere that they can be used as mid range and tweeters. Would mid range frequencies be too low?
I heard they operate best at around 5000 cycles and upward.
Paul
Old 9th August 2009, 02:14 AM   #19
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ESS

Quote:
What frequencies should Heils be crossed over at? I read somewhere that they can be used as mid range and tweeters. Would mid range frequencies be too low?
I heard they operate best at around 5000 cycles and upward.
Paul
The new ones available at Parts Express say they will go down to 800Hz - the old one's made in the 70's spec at 1200. This is has always been a point of contention because no one that I know of has ever seen a freq. response plot. On the old units there is rumored to be a bit of a notch at around 3.5Khz supposedly caused by the flange around the diaphragm. I crossed mine starting at 6K and use it with a 10" pioneer woofer that will reach 6K - seems to work ok with just a 6.8uf cap in series to the AMT. YMMV
Old 30th April 2010, 01:18 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

i have a set of heil's in my towers with a 15 inch altec woofers in them, they are my favorite speakers, i also have infinity kappa 8's and ar-lst's. they are very loud and have a very clear sound to them, they will take a lot of power if u have it. u will have to replace the ribbon sometime, but they can be found on-line, i had the ess amt's but gave them to my brother when i picked up the elites, you will love there sound very much

Hide this!Advertise here!