Sun shines in - I have awoken - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2006, 08:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sun shines in - I have awoken

...to the joys of speakers without boxes

Our recent move presented the opportunity to set up a new music system. The difficulty here is that my wife is not keen on large speakers, especially cabinets. " why can't we have something thin" was her refrain. I can't entirely blame her, some of the "best" designs are spectacularly ugly . It was then I remembered Magnepan's designs, and found some pictures on t'internet for her to look at. Mmmm, not bad came the reply and then all went quiet.

A few weeks later (last weekend) came my birthday. To my overwhelming delight, I was ushered in to see my surprise present - a pair of used but tidy Magnepan SMGa. We plugged in (a very nasty cd-radio "system" bought for $40..). The sound was dull, lifeless and when I turned it up, things rattled. Oh dear .

The offending speaker was pulled apart, to reveal that the wires of the mid-bass panel had begun to separate from the membrane.
Over the last few evenings, I have cleaned and reglued as necessary. I also found that the "tweeter" protection fuses were blown in both speakers.

Finally, last night I plugged in again. Same lo-fi radioCD source - I wasn't expecting much, it was never intended to drive a 4 ohm load

Wow Everything I thought I new about "hi fi" was wrong. These speakers, now 20 years old, are the best audio device I have ever heard. They just disappear, producing music effortlessly. What is more, my dear wife love's their "Danish Modern" appearence!

I have real amplification lined up in the form of an Adcom GFA585 power amp that I have just repaired, and can't wait to get things together. The Adcom came to me for free (broken) from a good friend, and seems on paper to be a good partner to the SMGs. We have a good system for little money and some DIY effort, always more satisfying than forking out hundreds (thousands?) at Hi fi dealers

So I am fortunate to now be a member of the planar club - I am entirely converted, surprised and delighted. DIY thoughts abound...

Cheers,

Ed
Old 1st December 2006, 08:23 PM   #2
kvholio is offline kvholio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Congratulations on your newborn Magnepans
I bet a Krellclone could really make those Maggies sing

With kind regards,

Klaas
Old 1st December 2006, 08:24 PM   #3
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I once had the honour of having the designer of the Dutch speaker brand 'Translator' dropping by at work... He mentioned he was designing a dipole speaker. He added that the distortion of a speaker without box was some 30% lower. After a short time I came across some old ESL-57's from Quad, it was love at first sight...

Magnepan always drew my attention in the same way....

You may count yourself 'blessed'..
Old 1st December 2006, 08:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

By the way, many folks would render it an overkill on planars/esls, but I've connected class D to the esls...and wow!

Discovering class D presented about the same revelation to me as the esls did...(even on dynamic speakers!)....
Old 1st December 2006, 08:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Remember Translator well, have listened to Reflexions a lot.
Must be the most open-sounding conventional speaker i've heard.
Needed lots of power though. You could easily drive a quad-606 into clipping without the speakers breaking a sweat.

With kind regards,

Klaas
Old 1st December 2006, 08:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes we sold his speakers, so I heard a lot of them. The guy is much like
a happily disturbed professor (even looks a bit like Einstein :P)...

He mentioned the dipole he was working on needed a whole lot of power, but added this was just necessary to get the performance he was looking for....
Old 1st December 2006, 09:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes , like dynaudio. Finding smart solutions to solve problems in conventional speakers, but these solutions throw away efficiency.
The problems that are left are for the amp-designer

Can sound marvellous though when the amp-designer does his job well

With kind regards,

Klaas
Old 1st December 2006, 10:08 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Ed,

May I borrow your wife? I need her to speak to mine.
Old 1st December 2006, 10:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
May I borrow your wife? I need her to speak to mine.
What's it worth?

...Thanks for the other replies everyone. The ESL/Planar section of the forum is a rather interesting place to read around. It also seems to be one of the (few?) areas in audio where there is still space for new ideas and experimentation.

Ed
Old 1st December 2006, 11:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

After reading all restrictions to behavior as a member on this forum, I wonder if trading your wife is to be rendered legal in that perspective....

Hide this!Advertise here!