FPS transducers - what to do with them? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2006, 05:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Default FPS transducers - what to do with them?

I've just bought 8 2x12 FPS tranducers, as can be seen here:

http://www.usfps.com/warr/MCMA%20Tran.pdf

So, what should I do with them?
Old 4th December 2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Banned

Default FPS planar drivers

I can be of some help with your FPS planar drivers. I work with FPS on the live-sound side and have some of the same FPS planar drivers in some little PipeLine speaker systems. FPS does not really provide tech. support (I'm an indep. contractor).

The FPS planar drivers' SPL is low and the bandwidth is limited, but they do sound good if EQd and used with woofers. If you want VHF "air" (extention) you may need to add a super-tweeter to ea. speaker system.

The model you bought is one of their smallest and they tend to use is as a tweeter or in mass as a line-array (for specs see http://www.fps-inc.co.jp/pl-spec.html).

I recently drew up a design concept (and bought materials) for DIY folks that would use very similar FPS planars (more square shape) as the MF drivers, along with small-cone mid-bass drivers and a BG Neo8PDR planar as the MH driver. This would be a very easy to build project as all the drivers are the same width, so the baffel is basicly two boards (with drivers lined up between).

Let me know what you had in mind with your FPS planar drivers and I will try to help.
Old 4th December 2006, 11:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: FPS planar drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by ears4hire58
I can be of some help with your FPS planar drivers. I work with FPS on the live-sound side and have some of the same FPS planar drivers in some little PipeLine speaker systems. FPS does not really provide tech. support (I'm an indep. contractor).

The FPS planar drivers' SPL is low and the bandwidth is limited, but they do sound good if EQd and used with woofers. If you want VHF "air" (extention) you may need to add a super-tweeter to ea. speaker system.

The model you bought is one of their smallest and they tend to use is as a tweeter or in mass as a line-array (for specs see http://www.fps-inc.co.jp/pl-spec.html).

I recently drew up a design concept (and bought materials) for DIY folks that would use very similar FPS planars (more square shape) as the MF drivers, along with small-cone mid-bass drivers and a BG Neo8PDR planar as the MH driver. This would be a very easy to build project as all the drivers are the same width, so the baffel is basicly two boards (with drivers lined up between).

Let me know what you had in mind with your FPS planar drivers and I will try to help.
Woot! Someone else who has heard of these!

You can see my horrible drawing of the speaker in the attached image. (Yay, msPaint!)

I was hoping to build a "bigger is better" horn-loaded speaker, but instead of using a full-range driver, I'd just use a mid-woofer instead, like one of the Silver Flute drivers. This would produce the necessary mid-bass for these panels. A ribbon tweeter (ApexJr $5 model) would be used as a "helper tweeter".

You can see specs on the "Bigger is Better" here:
http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-howtobuild.asp
http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp

As you can see, most variants work well from about 40 hz up to about 100hz, and then start to roll off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fpsspeaker.jpg (3.7 KB, 245 views)
Old 5th December 2006, 07:28 AM   #4
Banned

The curves for the "bigger is better" horn-loaded speaker look rather rough (vary 15 dB).

It would be better to have at least two spaced woofers (>1 on ea. end) or better yet a line source of woofers to come close to matching the directivity of the ribbon/planar line source.

It is not a good idea to break the HF driver line, as that will create an uneven polar response.

I have attached a jpg file including the basics of a similar tower-shaped speaker concept I am working on; it includes a BG NEO8PDR to add some MF & lots of HF (higher SPL than the FPSs) but the BG does have a HF peak on axis (& several small woofers for mid-bass).

If higher SPL is not needed, I would just insert a nice little ribbon/planar tweeter (like the Foster) in the middle of the four FPS ribbon/planar line source.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.1-way line source based on fps 3x4 planar drivers.jpg (29.1 KB, 260 views)
Old 5th December 2006, 10:55 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Daveis
Ears,

How did you get your hands on some samples? Are they expensive?

Had a chance to compare those FPS1030(M3F1R1) to any of the BG's drivers (Neo or RD series)?

I do contract consulting and marketing work for some of these planar driver companies (mostly in the concert/PA market).

The samples are in a few locations right now. I should have them all in the same room to compare by month end (for some trade shows in Jan.).

The little FPS planars (like 3x4 image @ left) are cheap, <$25 in qty.

The FPS1030 (6x14") are about $400 depending on vintage and qty. The FPS2030 (11x14") are about $700 depending on vintage and qty.

The attached pic. is of several of the FPS1030 and FPS2030 planar drivers in a large concert application (subs not shown). The larger FPS2030 planar drivers have a Fs of 90Hz and handle 125W long term.

Do you guys think that I should work out some way to make these (and other hard to find planar drivers) available to the DIY group?

Do you guys have some applications in mind or should I set up a web site with some design ideas for these and other planar drivers (or both)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fps concert planar array.jpg (60.4 KB, 270 views)
Old 5th December 2006, 04:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I do contract consulting and marketing work for some of these planar driver companies (mostly in the concert/PA market).

The samples are in a few locations right now. I should have them all in the same room to compare by month end (for some trade shows in Jan.).

The little FPS planars (like 3x4 image @ left) are cheap, <$25 in qty.

The FPS1030 (6x14") are about $400 depending on vintage and qty. The FPS2030 (11x14") are about $700 depending on vintage and qty.

The attached pic. is of several of the FPS1030 and FPS2030 planar drivers in a large concert application (subs not shown). The larger FPS2030 planar drivers have a Fs of 90Hz and handle 125W long term.

Do you guys think that I should work out some way to make these (and other hard to find planar drivers) available to the DIY group?

Do you guys have some applications in mind or should I set up a web site with some design ideas for these and other planar drivers (or both)?

I paid $10 ea. for mine - not too much, I guess.

Any suggestions for a use for them? I have eight, and would like to try building a pair of decent speakers from them.
Old 5th December 2006, 06:59 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Spasticteapot

Any suggestions for a use for them? I have eight, and would like to try building a pair of decent speakers from them.
Good deal!. Where did you get them?

I would array them per the attached drawing in post #4 above.
Old 5th December 2006, 07:32 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Spasticteapot

With 4 of the little 2x12 FPS panels you can make the = of this little line-array: http://www.fps-inc.co.jp/s_images/en...c_pl4_0212.pdf

They do need a little EQ to flatten out.
Old 5th December 2006, 10:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:

With 4 of the little 2x12 FPS panels you can make the = of this little line-array: http://www.fps-inc.co.jp/s_images/en...c_pl4_0212.pdf

They do need a little EQ to flatten out.
I think that the picture is missing from the PDF, but I get the idea regardless - I'd just use four, one on top of the other, for a 2x96 cell array?

Also, here's a nice option for a tweeter:

Alternative ribbon driver link

It's cheap, and performs pretty well. It also has a similar SPL at the same voltage, similar impeadance, and more. Wiring it in parallel with the panels using a small capacitor to cross it in at roughly 15khz should help with the treble.

For the woofer, I was thinking of using a nice, cheap Silver Flute 8" unit - $30-$40 each, and they work nicely down to 40hz, making the use of a subwoofer optional. This would be in a ported box, with the line array placed on top of it.

I'm going for sound quality and low distortion here, and not simple output power. Do you think that the FPS units are capable of meeting my requirements?
Old 5th December 2006, 11:12 PM   #10
Banned

The little FPS planars should do fine at modest SPLs from a few hundred Hz. to several thousand Hz.

The HF drivres you site are cheap but are very narrow band. I would use somthing more like this for VHF:
http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...840&info=specs

For LF try to match the directivity of the MF line by butting LF @ ea. end of the array.

Hide this!Advertise here!