Monsoon planar drivers - has anyone used 'em?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying my hand at building speakers. Although I am still working on my first pair, I'm already shooting for my secod. (Stupid? Yes.)

For the sake of simplicty, I was looking at the Monsoon planar satellites, used in their line of computer speakers, usually with a woofer. I heard that they're pretty flat down to 1k, at which point I would cross them over to a woofer, likely mounted in a transmission line. Alternately, I could use a fancier crossover setup, but I figure that simply bi-amping the whole thing would make it easy and cheap.

Can anyone make any reccomendations for a matching woofer? I would'nt mind something for near-field listening (about 1.5 meters), and I live near Madisound, so one of Audax's more inexpensive woofers might work well. (And Madisound has some as low as 10$!)

I have 3 sets of the 'big' monsoon planars that were used in the MM-1000 system. Unless you're looking for insane levels, you should be able to get down below 1000 - remember that they were crossed at 200Hz in the computer implementation. I certainly wouldn't suggest using them that low, but 500-600 should be worth investigating.

I had some pretty good results using them in a cobbled-together waveguide (search over at HTGuide), but have never gotten around to trying them in a conventional arrangement. IMHO they sound very good within their limits.

For near-field you want to stay small-ish since integration is an issue, and try crossing at about 500 - nearfield this should be OK. Almost any reputable ~6" driver will be fine up to 500, and provide OK bass for nearfield music listening. Something like the Adire Extremis or the Tang Band knockoff would be ideal, but even the Dayton RS180 will have tons of output for nearfield and will sound great.

I don't have any direct experience with any of Madisounds current offerings, unfortunately. If you can get an Audax aerogel unit on closeout, though, they are supposed to be excellent.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The big planars have a panel resonance below 200 Hz. They go down flat to 1k where you start getting dipole roll-off (which was countered with EQ in their multimedia sets). If you mount the planar in a larger baffle it will remain flat lower (ie a baffle 4x the width of the planar should get you to 250 Hz -- that is where i plan to XO mine).

I've actally got a collection of parts that will allow me to triamp 2 big planars + 2 small planars + a woofer on each side. Woofers are MM700, planars are MM1000 mid/tweeters and MH502 planar tweeters. mid & tweeter amps supplied by some MM500 boards (i'll only ise 2 of the 5 amps on this board allowing me to use dead on one channel amps. The only diy will be building baffles & wiring it all together so it works (i'll have to add diodes & filter caps to the Planar Media 9 power tranformers, but i can salvage those parts too)

dave

planet10 said:
The big planars have a panel resonance below 200 Hz. They go down flat to 1k where you start getting dipole roll-off (which was countered with EQ in their multimedia sets). If you mount the planar in a larger baffle it will remain flat lower (ie a baffle 4x the width of the planar should get you to 250 Hz -- that is where i plan to XO mine).

I've actally got a collection of parts that will allow me to triamp 2 big planars + 2 small planars + a woofer on each side. Woofers are MM700, planars are MM1000 mid/tweeters and MH502 planar tweeters. mid & tweeter amps supplied by some MM500 boards (i'll only ise 2 of the 5 amps on this board allowing me to use dead on one channel amps. The only diy will be building baffles & wiring it all together so it works (i'll have to add diodes & filter caps to the Planar Media 9 power tranformers, but i can salvage those parts too)

dave

Fancy selling me some? :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Spasticteapot said:

Fancy selling me some? :)

I've smoked thru all the big panels (probably went thru 150 panels). I have a few tweeters left and woofers from 4" to 8". Lots of transformers & boards that are "condition unkown". Plus my personal stash (i might be talked out of those -- given the number of projects in the queue, loosing a few wouldn't hurt)

dave

planet10 said:

I've smoked thru all the big panels (probably went thru 150 panels). I have a few tweeters left and woofers from 4" to 8". Lots of transformers & boards that are "condition unkown". Plus my personal stash (i might be talked out of those -- given the number of projects in the queue, loosing a few wouldn't hurt)

dave

150 panels? Woah!

I could probbably use some of the tweeters - they should work okay with inexpensive Audax mid-woofers from Madisound.

That, or you could sell me the "fancy pants" panels, which would also rock.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
dwk123 said:
that bears a resemblance to the Extremis. - W6-1139.

Hi dwk,

I think you'll find those two are very different drivers. The Extremis can be used in a stand alone two way, the 1139 cannot IMHO. It requires an external amp and has no midrange. Not even the big Monsoon planar would be suitable as a complement. I would go for the Extremis for sure.

Both are very good at what they do but wouldn't be considered for the same project.

I am using the TB 1139's with 8" PR's.

I have a dual Extremis in a sealed box.

I use the big Monsoosn planars with the proprietary woofer. At least I think it's the one that came with the system. We'll have to ask Dave to confirm that. They came from him.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cal got both MH502s (2.5" + planar tweeter & 4" woofer) & Planar Media 14 systems (big panels + 8" woofer).

We had the opportunity to buy out the left overs from the North American service depot. Most of the parts went out as complete systems, i got to sell off the excess/spares.

The similarity between the Tangband and the Extremis likely arises because they are built by the same OEM. The Extremis is unique and the only 7" woofer i know of that thinks it is a 10".

dave

Monsoon dipole 2-way open baffle

Hi Dave/Planet, I have been lurking for a while now, but 1st post IIRC, and have built an interesting stash of drivers, mostly vintage, that I want to put to use in a 2- way OB. This would be my first" build", as opposed to "bash" the sides off some cheap boxes. I will have some LF driver specifics but I have a set of the desk-top monsoon planars and sub. I would like to utilize these with a 10" or 12" in an OB. I have some CTS 12"'s/ and some with a higher excursion. I do have a pair of eminence 15's, unsure of model # ATM, in an "under-utilized ampeg cab the could be pulled into play. Trying to avoin a 4'wide baffle if possible. I can solder, but have zero knowledge about designing cross-overs, etc. Can I use an Ashly rack crossover unit?I was wondering if you had plans for a tried and true application/baffle size/driver orientation.. etc that I could follow. I know to off-set the Lf driver from center.. I am guessing you messed with these extensively.I have read as much on OB's as my brain will absorb for now and am getting itchy. The room is approx 18' with partial opening to 23' x11wide. Hardwood with area rug and walls covered in paintings that absorb a lot. Will eventually be run by tubes but that is another project on-going, so ATM will be run be separates/ receiver. thanks in advance..whew. And my budget is $zero....but damn am I resourceful, and creative.

Thanks for the link, sort of what I was thinking/envisioning.....only better.
I am just stepping into the ring, not ready to take on the heavyweight champ yet.
Kind of done with giant boxes at the moment. I was going to try and get away with a 2-way(if possible) and no bass enclosure. Flat baffle or H-frame. Simple design, as simple a crossover as can be. btw it's the mm-700 set.I am thinking about trying to use the existing cross-over, and get help with any modification that would be necessary for the bass driver, unless i am completely dreaming.
Any one familiar, or been down this road?

Monsoon

I've got one pair of the mixed mode desktops and one set (with dead amp) of the '9' system. At one stage a long time ago was going to import them - sort of glad I didn't as they imploded subsequently.

Love the one working pair and will get the whole set working.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.