..didn't know how they sound till i made me one.. - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2006, 09:48 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

The seas woofers are amazing down low. They have an insane breakup mode that is like 20 dB high, but that's up in the midrange. Those drivers are great if you notch the living crap out of the breakup region. Because I'm actively crossing over the woofers so far away from that region, I didn't bother doing anything with it. Not turning on the panel amps and listening, there isn't anything beyond bass coming out of my woofer boxes. Thump thump thump.

The quads are an interesting design, quite unique from anything else out there. Really outstanding bit of engineering when you consider the limited materials they had to work with back then. The treble panels will arc at about 3KV give or take (the quads don't have the tightest manufacturing tolerances out there). The treble panels have the conductive portions painted inside the stators, and the bass panels have the conductive regions painted on the outside of the stators. The entire membrane is covered in a conductive coating which in many cases has disappeared over the decades (again, they didn't have the materials and coating methods we have now)

The attachment points are metal tabs riveted to the plastic and the conductive paint covers the rivet. When soldering to those tabs, be very quick.

You may want to try an experiment where you put cardboard baffles on the sides of the treble panel to imitate the width of the speaker, you'll find that the panels will play a whole lot lower and you won't have a hole in your midrange.

Sheldon
Old 18th November 2006, 10:10 PM   #132
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Allright, so what are the crossover frequencies, does anyone know?

And I did experiment with baffles, indeed the were extended in the lower range a bit. I didn't mind at the time, but I want to make some kind of baffle and protective grill for them after refurbishment...
Old 20th November 2006, 04:13 PM   #133
tmyr is offline tmyr  Greece
diyAudio Member

.. aaa a baffle is a very interesting accesory and it does lots of work preventing compressed air from the forward movement of the membrane go around the frame and hit membrane at the back helping forward movement some more . simple words aerodynamicaly speaking but this is the case as i persive it.
using it helps extend bass region (less dipole canselation) and reduce membrane movement thus more spl in general _if u have the additional amp power that is..

such a baffle should be heavy as it is hit from both sides with opposite air presure and is prone to vibrate.

my experiment showed the bennefits of a baffle and the weeknesses of a light carton constraction.

the whole idea is not that beautifull . maybe thats why people dont use it much . but is very effective..
can make your esl sound bigger depenting on the size of that baffle ..

stokessd .. yes i use a "DALE ROX-2 40MŮ GK" cyan in color big (for hv) resistor .. another nice find at work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bafeld.jpg (86.0 KB, 471 views)
Old 20th November 2006, 05:48 PM   #134
405man is offline 405man  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried curved baffles like the mouth of a large horn

Stuart
Old 22nd November 2006, 03:49 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

Baffles extend the frequency response downward but they don't provide any higher SPL. That's why most people go with larger speakers instead of small ones with baffles. If you've accepted the idea of putting a 3' wide speaker in the room, why not make it 3' of active speaker instead of 1' of speaker and 2' of baffle? Guess which will play louder...

I_F
Old 23rd November 2006, 11:55 AM   #136
tmyr is offline tmyr  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Baffles extend the frequency response downward but they don't provide any higher SPL. That's why most people go with larger speakers instead of small ones with baffles
yes indeed this is absolutly true ..

i was refering to a given speaker wich could improove its performance with this accesoir - not design and constract a baffled one . if baffle reduces membraine movement (x-nominal) then you could drive it with some more watts to make panel play louder .
Old 26th November 2006, 01:51 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was suggesting the baffles for the guy who is using the quad tweeter by itself. As it stands in his picture, the panel is 6 inches wide and is rolling off quite high.

Sheldon
Old 26th November 2006, 09:01 PM   #138
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yup, me... I will try Sheldon, thanx. But where would it aproximately roll
off? A field-soundengineer from work measured the freq spectrum of the whole system (with woofer) in my very room and it didn't look bad...He used some very small professional field-spectrum analizer...aprox. 1 meter distance, several angles...

I don't like the idea of baffles, would small baffles pointing to the rear (from the sides). do the job? (like a U-shaped baffle...) Littlebit of (thin, breathable) foam glued behing it (between the edges of the baffle)?

Thanks....

Hide this!Advertise here!