Heil help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of the original Heils out of a set of AMT-1 speakers. I'm using the original xover but a different woofer and box and 800Hz xover point. I'm a little worried that my high listening levels will eventually damage the membranes. So, does anyone know of a midrange that will keep pase with the Heil from 800-2k ? Even if I had to use two/channel in an MTM sort of arrangement? I want to keep the xover passive so I'm planning on inserting the mids into the heil side of the xover and then capping the Heils.
Any ideas?
TIA, John.....

It's not as simple as just sticking a cap on the heil and inserting the mids after it.... Good choice of mid is MaxSpeakers PR65Neo, or Audax PR17OMO, both are high efficiency, and both are quite good 6.5"s. I'd recommend you do some reading on crossovers and model a few before attempting this: there's pretty much no saving the original XO if you intend to add mids.

I was thinking about trying these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=297-415

I have the heil xo set to it's softest position and with the current woofer it's really quite nice. If I could get a pair/ch of these to work between 800-3.5k it would make life pretty easy on the heils. I'm not at all worried about the mids beaming because this set of speakers has only one listening position but it's important that the xo remains passive. So, if I had to pad the heils a bit more that wouldn't bother me at all as I have a stack of amps if I felt I needed them. I just want to keep as much of the smooth, tranparent sound of the heils without having to worry about getting new diaphrams.
Thanks, John.......

I think the trick to doing a 3-way with a Heil is using a high efficiency mid (and woofer). I tried a three way with a Seas Excel and also a vifa mid, it didn't really shine until I used a PHL 1120 (this mid is quite similar to the Audax PR170). I love the sound of the Heils, but matching the rest of the system to them can be tricky. When everything finally clicks, the sound is outstanding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.