Could someone explain the ESL High Voltage DC bias supply to me? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2006, 05:06 AM   #1
jzh797s is offline jzh797s  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Could someone explain the ESL High Voltage DC bias supply to me?

I recently compleated my home theater setup by building a 90" screen. I started a search for diy speakers and came up with ESL. I have always wanted a set but could never afford it. I am begining the research stages of the diy project and I am curious about the power supply of an ELS panel.

I understand that the AC line needs to be converted to around 1500 - 2000+ vDC. What is the general method of doing this ie transformer configuration? Where are the materials obtained? What is the general cost of the power system for an ESL panel? Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks,
Zach
Old 24th August 2006, 05:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Could someone explain the ESL High Voltage DC bias supply to me?

Quote:
Originally posted by jzh797s
I recently compleated my home theater setup by building a 90" screen. I started a search for diy speakers and came up with ESL. I have always wanted a set but could never afford it. I am begining the research stages of the diy project and I am curious about the power supply of an ELS panel.

I understand that the AC line needs to be converted to around 1500 - 2000+ vDC. What is the general method of doing this ie transformer configuration? Where are the materials obtained? What is the general cost of the power system for an ESL panel? Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks,
Zach
Hi Zach,

One important point is that this supply needs only to deliver very very small current, basically to charge the panels initially and to cope with some leakage. These are small supplies and generally not a significant cost factor for the whole design.
Some DIY outfits sell them assembled for 50 $ or so.

Most of the time they consist of a smallish transformer with a secondary of a few 100 volts followed by a 3 or 4 stage diode doubler. The final voltage depends strongly on your ESL design (stator spacing, sensitivity etc) so you will need to determine that first.

Jan Didden
Old 24th August 2006, 05:35 AM   #3
clem_o is offline clem_o  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Lower stored energy in the power supply will also reduce damage to the panel film when an arc-over happens.

If I recall, ESLs don't go very loud. So am not sure if that's ok with your giant screen...

Cheers!
Old 24th August 2006, 05:49 AM   #4
BillH is offline BillH  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi, zach.

Quote:
What is the general method of doing this ie transformer configuration?
Here's an example of a bias supply from Sheldon Stokes. I'm building a set of bias supplies based on his design.

Quote:
Where are the materials obtained?
Mouser.com should have most everything you'll need.

Quote:
What is the general cost of the power system for an ESL panel?
I'd estimate US$40 for two bias supplies.

Quote:
Is there anything else I should know?
Check The ESL Build Thread for my experiences in DIYing an ESL system. I'll have more information on a pair of new bias supplies I'm building in a few days.

A wealth of information can be found at The Audio Circuit . When you get there click "Loudspeakers", "Electrostatic Loudspeakers", then "DIY, Projects"
Old 25th August 2006, 03:19 AM   #5
jzh797s is offline jzh797s  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey thanks for all the great info!

Hide this!Advertise here!