Q&A about "small" Maggies - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2006, 01:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Q&A about "small" Maggies

Just got a set of MMGs ...
* How long generally before they can be considered "broken in" ... higher freq's getting a little brighter, bass a little fuller, etc. ??
* I positioned them all over the room and found a couple of good sweet spots, one almost 5 feet from the back wall, the other about six inches from the back wall. (I would have thunk that being close to a wall would have degraded higher frequency quality ??)
* The seem to like about 6 to 7 feet of separation ... ?? (Less than my old DIY mains.)
* They seem best located parallel and in the same plane (not bow legged or knock kneed).
* I hooked 'em up with #14 AWG PVC coated wire ... any comments regarding teflon wire instead ??
* Ultimately these will become an integral part of a small dance hall PA ... any thoughts about using these in an "industrial" situation ??

(100 watt > 8 ohms from newer Panasonic class-d stereo only)

but ...

I love 'em and will keep 'em ... even if I have to tweak 'em to get the best outta them. (Playing The Band / The Last Waltz on DVD as I write =
Old 10th August 2006, 01:50 AM   #2
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

I had them, they are very good and actually have pretty good bass. But the bass will bottom out in industrial situations, so make sure you use a subwoofer for this application. They are a 4 ohm load and will draw a lot of current.

I seem to recall that there are some common mods with the resistors/crossover. Maybe check audioasylum.com "planar/static/ribbon" threads.

While the sound was exceptional, I was sick of the miniscule sweet spot, so ultimately got more conventional speakers.
Old 10th August 2006, 02:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Q&A ... Igreen

They are already "breaking in" somewhat ... getting to sound a bit brighter, fuller ... after a couple of hours.

4 ohms, yes, I knew that ... and because the impedence is low, I think some of the damping circuitry in the Panasonic XR-70 is kickin' in and dropping output about 10 db (a current dump class-d w/digital override of short circuit) ... and 100 W. > 8 ohms is still 100 W > 4 ohms 'cause of this, I guess. Anyway the SPL is about 10 db down, overall, from my older DIY 8 ohm mains ... (now I hate those old dogs = too tinney and missing something in the midrange.)

They do sound really great to me, I understand about that sweet spot = pretty narrow and if they can't hack it in the place that "looks good/sounds not as good", then ... oh well.

Yes, I plan to install a ~ 60 watt sub to suppliment the Maggies in the dance hall PA ...

Hide this!Advertise here!