Mylar roller buy, what is a real uses ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
no use

Hi,

Films that are used as color-filters are too thick to be used in ESLs.
And You don´t know the mechanical properties either, which will probabely be inferior to pure Mylar.
When You build ESLs with higher mechanical tension its of greatest importance to use 1st class films, that have the highest tensile strength. This is original Mylar (DuPont) Type C and S and Hostaphan (Mitsubishi/Hoechst) RE. Use 6µm for fullrange and even thinner material for hybrids to get best results.

jauu
Calvin

Re: no use

Calvin, in what tipe the store u buy a mylar film the 1st (6µm) ???

What is a real aplication of the Mylar film ???

Saludos
Calvin said:
Hi,

Films that are used as color-filters are too thick to be used in ESLs.
And You don´t know the mechanical properties either, which will probabely be inferior to pure Mylar.
When You build ESLs with higher mechanical tension its of greatest importance to use 1st class films, that have the highest tensile strength. This is original Mylar (DuPont) Type C and S and Hostaphan (Mitsubishi/Hoechst) RE. Use 6µm for fullrange and even thinner material for hybrids to get best results.

jauu
Calvin

umm real uses is for condensers !!! In Chile not works condenser (Chile not have industries of condensers), what other uses for mylar film??? I seach in plastics and films stores of my country, horrible result, not mylar not mylar. In the electronics market 0 result !!!

Saludos

I_Forgot said:
The "real" application of thin polyester film (such as 5-6um thick) is for capacitors. They metalize it, slit it, roll it, and attach leads.

I_F

Pleas be aware of the fact that most amateur coatings do not meet any decent production standards. Even worse, their chemical and physical properties are usually inferior and are not worth the money.
If the so-called producer is not capable and/or refusing to give you enough information about his 'product', forget it.

Besides professional EC-coating, I've got some 100 cm width original, custom made Mylar which enables you to get two panels at once (large width of the Mylar). Besides saving money, you can get equal mechanical tensions as well.

You can contact me: mj-dijkstra@zonnet.nl

Hi,

I actually contacted a company that coats the mylar/hostaphan films for capacitor usage. They´d been so friendly to send a ´rest´ of a core with 3.5µm film on. It´s just 30cm wide, but that was enough for my panels :)

There are some sources on the net, eagerly waiting on Your placement :D but order just Mylar Type C or S or Hostaphan RE and possibly not thicker than 6µm but rather thinner . Prices around 3€/m are ok, more is expensive. Don´t accept metallized stuff, as long as You don´t need it because of design reasons (for constant-voltage-ESLs e.g)

There are many coatings around and many DIY-formulas, but there are not that many that
- proove to be stable over years
- stable under differing climatic conditions
- have excellent adhesion to Polyester
- can be applied easily
- are preferably transparent
- that are extremely light and thin when dried out
- and that give a homogenous resistant coating.

EC-coatings based on electroconductive polymeres seem to be a very promising solution when the´re formulated for such high resistances. You may check for Baytron P and its derivatives or Zelec Milliken EC-powders (CD100-formula). Especially Baytron promises extremely thin coatings.

jauu
Calvin

Hi,
One cheap and available source of film is cooking film.It usually comes in ~12 micron thick.Its strength is similar to mylar i think
I am not sure what type of film is it.I don't know about long-term stability either. It almost does not heat-shrink.

Regards,
Lukas.

Expect a very slight roll off at 15 Khz for 12 micron. In the book of Roger Sandsers this is clearly illustrated with a picture of the measured response. Whether this is a problem depends on your esl. Most of the diy esls have too much high freq because of undealed beaming effects so it could even be an advantage when it comes to the balance.
Some diy report a more detailed sound with 6 micron (or 4) compared to the 12 micron. This remains a subjective matter and I you should decide for your own.
You can feel the differnce between 12 and 6 micron very easily. 12 micron cracks in your hand like an empty bag of chips, whereas the 6 micron, and especially 4 micron, rustles more like a sandwich bag.
6 micron Mylar (r) usually is strong enough for all aplications

Hpoe this might help.

comparison

Hi,

this is a comparison of a ML-Prodigy panel with my panel.

The Prodigy uses a panel of ~40x125cm, a d/s of ~1.0mm and a 12µm thick diaphragm. My panel is 25x125cm, with a d/s of 1.0mm and a 3.5µm thick diaphragm.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can see 3 differences in this response graph.
1) The Fs of the Prodigy is higher at app. 250Hz/170Hz since the thicker film can be stretched much harder. The Q-factor is lower than with my panel.
2) acoustic phase cancellation starts at higher frequencies with my panel since its of lesser width. Without filtering the Prodigy´s response is more linear here. With a crossover there´s nearly no difference at all above 300Hz.
3) The response above 5kHz is falling with the Prodigy because of the higher mass of the film. Sonically I find that the thinner membrane seems to exhibit more resolution of detail.
You might add a small resistor in series to the trannies primary to get the same response with the advantage of reducing the stress on the driving amp.

So 12µm film is ok for audio-bandwidth and with fullrange ESLs, but You should use a lightweight coating with this film too. Thinner films are advantageous when You plan to build a hybrid ESL and they sound imo better.

jauu
Calvin

Mylar Film Uses

PMS

Brand new to the forum & read your message. If I understand correctly you want to know what mylar film is used for & if it would work for your DIY membrane material.

My brother & I made several pairs of planars about 15 years ago. Ours were pretty simalar to carvers ALIII's, but in my opinion sound much better. I plan on building some more & doing some experiments with different materials. We used window shrink wrap & capacitor foil. I also tried mylar film as a membrane with very good results.

My father used to build radio controlled airplanes and used mylar film to cover the planes.

I have not done any DIY homework for many years, but I bought different pairs of carvers so I can compare them to my DIY's in the same room with the same amp & see how they sound. I cant wait to get started again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.